PDA

View Full Version : Can't Boot After Partitioning

glenn
05-12-2002, 08:25 PM
I installed a new Seagate 40GB HDD on an older system as one large partition. The Seagate software installed a DDO to utilize the entire drive. I then installed win95B. Everything worked great.

Then I installed Partition Magic 8 to partion the drive. Everything seemed to go well. However, when the system got to the point of booting back to Windows, the DDO software asked if i wished to install an OS.

I thought the MBR might have been corrupted, so I ran the fdisk /mbr command. Still no luck.

I'm not sure what to try. Reinstall Windows? Remove then reinstall the DDO?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

JohnD
05-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Check that the partition is set as active.

Terry Porritt
05-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Im not sure about your problem with PM, but using fdisk /mbr with a disk manager program can be fatal. These disk programs use a modified MBR for disk access and using fdisk /mbr will destroy the changes the disk program made to your drive. That will prevent booting for sure. :(

Merlin
05-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Reinstall from scratch - DDO up and install the OS etc.

Next time you partition either use the DDO or select no when asked if you want to install an OS else the partition table data will again be corrupted.

You can check if the partition containing Win95B is unhidden and active. Check the help instructions at Symantec's site for assistance there. Mind if you are unable to boot into Windows use option Z above.

glenn
05-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Thank you, Merlin. I formatted the c: drive and reinstalled the os. works fine.

Are you saying that I shouldn't use Partition Magic if I have a DDO on my drive. There is partition software on Seagate DiskWizard, the software I used to install the drive and DDO. Should I always use that?

Cheers

Merlin
06-12-2002, 08:42 AM
The partitioning software included with DiskWizard is designed to work with the DDO. Use that.
Planning partition sizes is required beforehand.

If you are going to use PM with a DDO, check with Symantec regarding any potential or actual problems. Also experimentation is a wise move. So is creating a drive backup before experiementing or otherwise making changes.

Terry Porritt
06-12-2002, 10:44 AM
My PM manual says that it is compatible with drive overlays including Seagate DDO provided that the overlay program is loaded before PM.

(Well, one would normally do that anyway!)

Graham L
06-12-2002, 03:45 PM
But PM probably tested it on a Tuesday with a full moon. Then added a couple of enhancements which "could never make any difference to that".

Partitioning is a critical operation. A piece of software like Seagate DDO is clever stuff, and is also playing with critical stuff. Mix them together ... "well, those backups were a good idea, weren't they?" :D