PDA

View Full Version : Critical updates

supergran
05-12-2002, 03:30 PM
When I go to Microsoft to try and get critical updates for my puter, running 98SE, it goes to the page, 'checking for latest version of Windows update software, or something similar, then hangs, then freezes, and the only way out is cont, alt del, which closes all windows that were open, then when I try and open IE again, the only way I can get back online is to reboot. Checked the Microsoft help, and it says sometimes when there is more than one IE on the puter, that happens, and as I have 5 and IE6 I guess I qualify. BUT the bug bear is that they say to uninstall all the IEs, which I thought was impossible,and then reinstall IE6. Well no way am I trying to uninstall IE6, with all the hassles that come with that, so has anyone got any other ideas.

godfather
05-12-2002, 03:53 PM
Can you explain how you came to have both IE5 and IE6 on the machine?
I can understand why the Updates would fail in this case, but not the two IE's

IE is quite integrated with Windows, normally when you load IE 6 with a previous version on board, the later one "upgrades" the earlier on and archives the replaced files in order that you can Uninstall IE6, and get IE 5 back. Not at all sure how you get 2 concurrent ones, apart from a dual booting system with 2 Operating Systems - or is this what you have?

supergran
05-12-2002, 07:59 PM
Sorry Godfather, as usual I didn't explain myself properly, but as you pointed out, yes one does take over the other. I know I had Ie 5, then 5.5, then 6 on this puter, but as you said, they just go over each other, so now I am really confused, as no, I dont' have dual booting. ?:|

godfather
05-12-2002, 08:04 PM
OK, that explains it.
You only have 1 IE on the computer.
If you uninstall IE6, you will end up back with IE5.5. I really dont know if you would end up with IE5 if you uninstalled IE 5.5, no need to go that far.

You could try that, then re-install IE6? Or do a repair of IE6?

Have you applied the IE6 service pack? If you don't want to download it, buy a copy of PC Authority, just out now. Its on the cover CD.

supergran
06-12-2002, 02:02 PM
Yes I did think of uninstalling IE6, but was very iffy, as when my sister uninstalled it, Explorer managed to dissappear too. Yes, I know that isn't common, but I don't really want to have to try and reformat my puter if it did it to me. As for the service pack, if my puter guy didn't put it in in July, when he installed 98, it isn't there. Cos I thought they were coming down, the updates that is, on their own, then when I went into the Update wizard, it said there was no updates installed, which is what started me off on all these questions. LOL