PDA

View Full Version : Thermal grease

Finerd
04-12-2002, 01:22 PM
just brought a 1.1ghz Duron AMD
it came with heatsink and fan but no thermal grease
the heatsink does hav a pink thermal pad thingy.
Do i still need to apply some thermal grease?
also does anyone know if Litium grease will work?
thanks

robsonde
04-12-2002, 01:27 PM
I dont think you will need Thermal grease but dont hold me to it :-)

check the AMD site??

crozier
04-12-2002, 01:36 PM
The pink thermal pad should be adequete. But some people prefer to peel if off and apply paste or grease. The pad is designed to melt when it's first used so you'll need paste if you ever take the heatsink / fan off.

Susan B
04-12-2002, 01:46 PM
Don't hold me to it either, but I was advised by everyone to peel off the black thermal pad on my Pent 4 heatsink and put thermal grease on instead. The heatsink will have to be thoroughly cleaned first. Don't put the paste on the thermal pad - either use one or the other.

I used Artic Silver or Artic Alumina (I forget which) -- have a look at their website (http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm) for instructions on how to do it.

A tip: decide now whether you're going to use the thermal pad or thermal grease rather than after you've installed the heatsink because the thermal pad will melt and be a bit more tricky to clean up after use.

Finerd
04-12-2002, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the advice
i think i'll go but some grease
and peel that pad off

Terry Porritt
04-12-2002, 03:58 PM
It also pays to check the flatness of a heat sink (with a steel rule for want of anything better). The benefit of the thermal pad is that it accomodates out of flatness. In the past Ive lapped heat sinks with fine lapping paste on a lapping plate. This also removes the anodising which is a bit of a heat barrier in its own right. Thermal paste should be applied as thinly as possible, just enough to fill the "interstices". The force required to fit some of the clips seems excessive and could well cause distortion and out of flatness, but there isnt anything one can do about that.

mikebartnz
04-12-2002, 11:13 PM
One local PC manufacturer recommended one of Dick Smiths thermal grease. Their best one is in a syringe but I forget it's name.