PDA

View Full Version : Two Operating Systems in one

NathanTheKind
03-12-2002, 09:57 AM
Hi All

Does anyone know of how to run two operating systems at a time with out dual booting.

What I am wanting is to load up Windows XP and then while still in XP Load up DOS. now when I say DOS I don't just want the command prompt, but I want a virtual version of a true DOS environment. Now I don't want to dual boot. I know similar things can be done with Linux and Windows using some software, if anyone knows what this software is called this may also be helpful thank you

Stormwarden
03-12-2002, 10:05 AM
You could try copying the entire DOS directory off a normal DOS machine (ie 6.22 or lower) to a directory on your hard drive, and then just run Command.com from that directory, changing the app compatibility options in XP for it if necessary.

I haven't actually tried this, it's just an idea.

If that works, you should have all of the normal dos functions not included with Win9x/ME/2000/XP, but I dont know about running dos apps.

CYaBro
03-12-2002, 10:06 AM
I have been using a program called VMWare Workstation which allows just what you want.
Easy to setup etc but not free. I think you can download a 30 day trial.

Check out the website http://www.vmware.com

Graham L
03-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Of course linux can run DOS in a terminal window. No problems. :D

crozier
03-12-2002, 03:33 PM
>Of course linux can run DOS in a terminal window. No problems.

Yep, I'm really sure that'll help him with his XP problem! NOT

How about we all stop this slagging down of other operating systems and concentrate on each others problems.

Graham L
03-12-2002, 03:54 PM
crozier: What "slagging"? Where? Did you read the original query?

The linux software which does this is dosemu. It actually uses a disk image of a DOS floppy. Can use freedos, DR Dos as well as MS. It works well.

crozier
03-12-2002, 04:09 PM
>>>crozier: What "slagging"? Where? Did you read the original query?

NathanTheKind specically said:

>I am wanting is to load up Windows XP and then while still in XP Load up DOS

You said:

>>Of course linux can run DOS in a terminal window. No problems.

SO WHAT - WHO CARES?! He hasn't asked about linux! Why mention it? Perhaps he should run linux in XP then run dosemu in linux?!?!

I just tink it's getting very tiresome to continually read (often from linux users) postings which are like your one. OK linux serves your purposes, enjoy it. I've tried it - don't like it - scrapped it. It seems the vogue to slag MS products down, I love XP as do millions of MS customers. We don't want the linux debate thrust in our faces every chance you get.

Graham L
03-12-2002, 04:22 PM
OK, so you can't read, crozier.;-) But don't yell at me. The education system is not my fault.

The last sentence of the original posting asks for information about the Linux method"which may help".

Because I learned computing on machines with real operating systems, I happen to find Linux more natural, but I use DOS when I need to, and sometimes even Windows. But I don't slag other OSs, because it's a waste of time. So's personal abuse.

But I will continue to not take PCs seriously. I'll even laugh at people who take themselves too seriously.

crozier
03-12-2002, 04:30 PM
>>>The last sentence of the original posting asks for information about the Linux method"which may help".

In which case he would have been better served if you had said:

>The linux software which does this is dosemu

Not

>>Of course linux can run DOS in a terminal window.

Don't you think? But childish comments like:

>>>OK, so you can't read, crozier.

Are a bit silly aren't they.

>>>But I don't slag other OSs, because it's a waste of time. So's personal abuse.

Don't do it then, there's a good boy :p

bmason
03-12-2002, 06:07 PM
[dodges flame war...]

Bochs (http://bochs.sourceforge.net/) will do it, I've used it on win98 so I assume it will run on XP.

It isn't particularly fast though, esp at graphics because its entirely emulated.