View Full Version : How to plug in a modem in a different country

Mark Veldhuizen
02-12-2002, 01:02 PM
OK so i have a laptop (DELL) and I put a 56k modem in it, because I need the internet. I am taking this to France for a year, leaving January. Now, I have a regular phone jack/port in the laptop and also a long extension/phone cord that i will take with me. it, of course, ends in the little NZ phone plug.

Well, HOW do I go about plugging THAT into the phone jacks in france? I have searched for a convertor but have found NOTHING. It must be pretty popular product because buisnesses travel overseas with laptops ALL THE TIME.

Last time I was in france, and I looked at a phone jack, it was different...

02-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Does france use the US Modular (RJ 11) type plug? If so you can get a converter from DSE http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3deaadff05ff36b2273fc0a87f990754/Product/View/F9062

I would expect any PC store in France to sell a RJ11 to phone lead. All manufacturers use the RJ11 standard so it shouldn't be hard to find the right cable over there.

02-12-2002, 02:00 PM
>Does france use the US Modular (RJ 11) type plug?

Actually I can answer my own question. "No"

Here's what the french plug looks like. http://www.manyfirst.com/cp-2202.htm

But my other point still stands. Any french PC shop should sell a standard (RJ11) cable that goes to the wall.

Graham L
02-12-2002, 02:17 PM
And they will have an adaptor for your cable because our plugs are actually BT plugs (British Telecom).

However, you will be able to buy a standard RJ to French cord there too.

02-12-2002, 02:26 PM
The other thing you may have to do is tell the modem what country you are in. On most PC's I have seen this in 'Device Manager' by double-clicking the modem and one of the tabs will say 'Country'.

Others sometimes have an icon in the 'Control Panel' for selecting this.

Also will need to change it in the Dialing properties in the 'Modem' control panel.