PDA

View Full Version : Applications and XP User Accounts

Graham R
02-12-2002, 08:50 AM
Having just got a new PC with XP (old PC has 95) I find many frustrations with getting software accessible to different user accounts, and would appreciate some help.
How can I set up software to be the same for all user accounts?
If I do that how can I set it up so that it is accessible for only one (or selected) user account?

The issue is that I have a number of user accounts, for the kids as they like having their own wall paper, and being able to set mouse settings etc that suit them is great.
The problem is that software seems to need to be loaded (or registered) for each user account.
Issues so far have included Britannica which I registered, and then when the kids went to use it on their account (apart from having to be set to administrator level which defeats some of the purpose) it wanted to be registered again.
Outlook also seems to want to store file (inbox, sent etc) info for each user. I want transparency (at the moment) of e-mail, so that we can all see the incoming and sent items etc (having only one e-mail address).

Please help me before I go even more insane!

Graham

J ZEP
02-12-2002, 09:24 AM
Hi Graham, I have been having probs along the same lines with a new pc i am setting up for my godson re my previous post:

Read My Post (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=28217)

And as you will see in my last reply i have found one way that does help with this is to set up "all" of the user accounts first then add/install the things then - also if you have to rename an account don't do it through Control panel as you will then be faced with another problem of the old account names still appearing in the path,which has happened to me since doing this (unsolvable according to M.S Knowledge base) anyway best not to go there, as in changing account names through Control Panel.
Back to your topic, as i said it appears if you set up one account and install all the software then add the other user accounts, you run into the problem of some of them not being accessible from the new accounts (mainly the non-admin accounts, which like you said defeats the purpose of having non-admin accounts)- re your problem - so I hope this works for you, it seems to for me after trying various different things. :-)

Graham R
02-12-2002, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the comments B-)
Only problem is that I set up the user accounts first, and are still having problems ?:|
Never mind, I will try some of the things you mentioned, and were on your earlier thread. Perhaps I cannot set it up the way I want to, and will put it down to the "features" of XP Pro :_|

Susan B
02-12-2002, 09:11 PM
Don't give up yet -- our resident Win XP guru, Babe Ruth isn't around just now but hopefully he will be able to assist if he sees this post.

I'm wanting to know about this as well. :D

Babe Ruth
02-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Graham R,

I'm sure I've answered this question in an earlier thread here on PressF1. Might pay to do a search using search terms of windows xp user account and date range 90 days and user name Babe Ruth and see what you come up with. Im sure there will be some help there for you.

Babe.

Susan B
02-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Hi Babe, you heard me call? :D

I'll do a search like you suggest but I'm wondering if this would be worth putting in the FAQ section?