PDA

View Full Version : IDE Channels: HDD, CD-ROM, CD-R/RW

stiven
29-11-2002, 02:49 PM
i have a HDD, 52x CD-ROM and a 48x/16x/48x CD-R/RW drive. what channels should i put them on?? eg the HDD on primary, the 52x on secondary master and the CD-R/RW on secondary slave??

Babe Ruth
29-11-2002, 02:54 PM
stiven, Yes.

Babe.

Chilling_Silence
29-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Why is that anyway?

Big John
29-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Because you usually find that things run only as fast as the slowest component. ie a slow CDRom with a fast HDD may result in a slow HDD due to being in PIO mode or a low DMA mode instead of the higher DMA mode it may be capable of.

bk T
That's what I configured mine.

Babe Ruth
Darn BJ beat me to it.

Cheers, Babe.

superOman
29-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Hi
I have to correct you.
You need to put the HDD on primary.
CDRW on secondary master,
and 52x on secondary slave

Puting the cdrw on slave would have an adverse effect when trying to 'burn' a cd. Information goes to the master first so when burning the CD information could be interupted by the master if it was the 52x and the CDRW was the slave

Have fun connecting it all up

Big John
29-11-2002, 07:29 PM
Only if you have a very slow PC. I have my HDD on the Primary Master, My DVD+RW on the Secondary Master, and my CD-RW on the Secondary Slave. I can burn to my CD-RW at 48X speed no hassles at all.

wuppo
29-11-2002, 08:15 PM
To add to the general confusion on the subject:

"At one time, attaching a fast disk drive as a master and a slow CD ROM drive as a slave on the same IDE channel would pull that channel's overall performance down to the level of the slower device. Early PIIX controllers put severe limitations on the configuration of IDE modes. There could be only two modes available. So, if both devices couldn't operate at the fastest mode supported by the controller, either both would run at the speed of the slowest, or one of them would run at PIO mode 0 regardless of its capabilities. The first PIIX imposed this limitation even across channels. The PIIX3 removed the limitation across channels, but not across devices in the same channel.

The latest controllers with UDMA support (PIIX4 and PIIX4E) have removed these limits completely, and the mode can be configured independently for each device. This should not be an issue any longer."

tweak\'e
29-11-2002, 08:51 PM
yea that could well be right wuppo. when i did some testing it didn't seem to slow the HD down at all.

however, i think the slow down comes when transfering data from cd to HD . correct me if i'm wrong but dosn't the ide support 2 devices but only transfer data one at a time ??

wuppo
29-11-2002, 08:58 PM
>>correct me if i'm wrong but dosn't the ide support 2 devices but only transfer data one at a time ??

Absolutely right, so if you do a lot of CD copying, it pays to have the CD and CDRW drives on different IDE ports :)

tweak\'e
29-11-2002, 09:09 PM
> >>correct me if i'm wrong but dosn't the ide support
> 2 devices but only transfer data one at a time ??
>
> Absolutely right, so if you do a lot of CD copying,
> it pays to have the CD and CDRW drives on different
> IDE ports :)

thats where ata and raid cards come in so handy