PDA

View Full Version : copying documents - scanner vs digital camera

rugila
28-11-2002, 01:20 PM
My venerable scanner is approaching its last legs. I do a fair amount of document copying. It occurred to me that a good digital camera could probably do a document scanning job and a lot more besides, even if initial cost is higher than for an average flatbed (although much less than good drum scanner etc.).
Does anyone have any experience or views on this?

SKT174
28-11-2002, 01:32 PM
If you do a lot of document scanning I would highly suggests to get another flatbed scanner instead of a digital cam. Besides, a good scanner doesn't cost much these days.

You wouldn't get the same quality as the scanner for documents :)

rayonline
28-11-2002, 01:37 PM
pls do not tell me u gonna use a digicam to scan 'documents'. it will be appalling quality. get a flatbed scanner. u want a better quality, the sheet of paper can be scanned flat down. can do zoom etc etc.... the picture maybe tinted if u use a digicam ie... background colour, lightening used (sunlight, light bulb).

Digicam is nice for emails and such like small size print outs.
They are still not as good as a normal SLR's from a photographers point of view.

rayonline
28-11-2002, 01:39 PM
if u gonn use a digicam to scan documents
its like taking a standard camera and take pictures of documents then scannig that photo into the PC.

Rayonline

godfather
28-11-2002, 02:17 PM
It does work, depite the comments above. The main problem is, the resolution at A4 is about 150 dpi, a bit on the low side in many cases.

Lighting is the other issue.

Graham L
28-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Scanners are designed to scan documents; cameras are designed to take pictures. You usually get best results by using a tool designed for the purpose.

I believe that many of the service calls for colour photocopiers when they were the "new technology" were for broken platen glasses. This was caused by heavy persons sitting on the glass to take a "photograph". ;-)

Bazza
28-11-2002, 06:43 PM
As GF says, it does work. Depends if you need to scan many documents, then get a new scanner.

On the other hand, being without a scanner, I have used a 2mp camera with excellent macro function, to copy some docs, and 6 x 4 prints using bright daylight illumination.

The quality has been very acceptable, even amazing, when the 6 x 4 images are printed at 12 x 8..

However it is less convenient than I imagine a scanner would be. I have more use for a digi camera than a scanner, but it may be different for your purposes.

Cheers..