PDA

View Full Version : Missing Threads and dodgy content

robo
28-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Hi people
Some of you may notice that one thread has been blown away this morning. It was felt that anything casting baseless aspersions on the financial robustness of a vendor was very dangerous to leave out there. The test being that it wasn't really opinion, it wasn't something we would publish, and it could be quite unpleasant if it hang around. Some might consider it negligent to leave out there once it came to our attention.

Personally, I was quite happy with the responses from people about the initial posting, felt that they mitigated the potential damage of the it, and would hope that most people who read the post felt similarly.

I don't like the idea of censoring things here, but sometimes it has to be done.

robo.

godfather
28-11-2002, 10:34 AM
I agree Robo.

I refuse to post on such threads, even in opposition to them.

I was hoping it would be erased or locked, its not a trend that should be encouraged.

Well done.

Clueless
28-11-2002, 11:56 AM
You mean someone announced big fat porkys on PF1???

Surely no one would do such a thing!

.Clueless

robo
28-11-2002, 01:00 PM
It's not even a question of whether it was true or not. Even if it was true, an unsubstantiated statement like that could hurt both the subject and F1. It would be similar if someone pretending to be the boss of Air New Zealand delivered bad news on a share market forum. That could drive the share price down, someone could buy the shares cheaply, it could get nasty.
Perhaps this wasn't quite as drastic, but potentially people's jobs were at stake.
robo.

Graham L
28-11-2002, 04:59 PM
Isn't it said: "the bigger the truth the bigger the libel'? ]:) (Though I think that truth is an absolute defence).

However, the "criticisms" some people utter when they are in tantrum mode, and don't switch on brain before hitting the "post" button, often aren't notable for factual content.

Damn, I missed it. :-( :D

rayonline
28-11-2002, 07:58 PM
its a shame that freedom of speech cannot be protected. there is no way to prevent rumours. radio, tv, (other) newsgroups/forums, at the pub.. hate it to be a centralised society.

robo
28-11-2002, 09:33 PM
I'd hate to think that we don't have freedom here, but I personally wouldn't say anything here that was intended to cost people jobs, their business, or their livelihood. I think we all deserve that courtesy. I don't think the person that originated the post had any sort of malicious intent, although some replies asked if the poster was an ex-employee. I don't think it was like that.

Only way to get truly free speech is to be an MP and say it in the house.

robo.

Graham L
29-11-2002, 01:53 PM
And look at the way that those ratbags abuse it.