PDA

View Full Version : Device Manager: - Hard Disk Controller Exclamation (!)

Kahawai_Chaser
27-11-2002, 08:26 PM
Hi..

Just had my 8 GB hard drive disc upgraded (ie. replaced) to a new 40 GB hard disc drive by a PC company (Under Win98SE, 380MB RAM) ...But in Device Manager, under Hard disc controller, there is a yellow exclamation mark next to "Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)". The properties section says that all drivers may not be installed (Code 10) and to try upgrading the drivers...
However the new hard drive is recognized, and appears to be working good and shows the standard pie chart in the My Computer Folder.
Is this yellow exclamation mark of any concern ? and what does it really mean ? and can it (ie. the "!") be easily sorted out ?
What does "IDE" and "dual fifo" mean ? - I know (I think) they refer to channels on the cable(s) from the MBoard to the hard disc...

Now have a redundant 8 GB Fujitsu drive wrapped up (3.5 yrs old or so) if anyone is keen...

Cheers...

godfather
27-11-2002, 08:42 PM
Take it back.
It probably operating under "dos compatability mode" and may therefore be slower.

It should not have a compatability problem, it may be a cause for future trouble.

tweak\'e
27-11-2002, 09:06 PM
check that it is being reconised correctly by the bios. what sort of pc is it?

otherwise try updating drivers. really the company should have checked before it left the shop.