PDA

View Full Version : Curly Regscan prob

Rod ger
27-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Running W98 original 266 K6 192MB RAM. When running Scanreg fix or Scanreg restore in DOS I get shunted off to a replacement Reg to replace the faulty one found.
The trouble is the replacements are equally corrupted, so, after replacement Windows trys to restart etc etc an endless loop. I have found the Scanreg.ini and disabled backups to skip the process and have used JV16 Powertools plus a few others to check\clean the registry. None found a fault, and there don't seem nutting rong wit de system.
Is there some way of finding out what scanreg found incorrect with the reg, or a program to check it, to correct this problem, or is it a checksum thing?
Its a bit of a worry not having automatic backups( I do a manual one every now and then.)
Any help appreciated

Rod ger
27-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Just used the System info\tools Registry checker . No problems found??

Susan B
28-11-2002, 03:14 PM
It's not really clear what your problem is. You have a corrupted registry and the registry backups are also faulty but then you say none of the reg cleaners found a fault?

Is it just scanreg saying that there is a fault and trying to replace with a good version? If your system is running fine otherwise?

Try doing a manual backup of the registry then running scanreg/ fix and see what happens. You have read the Registry FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=24468) haven't you?

Rod ger
28-11-2002, 05:41 PM
Thanks for answering Susan. Essentially Scanreg detects a "bad" registry every time I startup and replaces it, automatically, with another "bad" backup, restarts and repeats the whole process endlessly.
Unless I disable it in the scanreg.ini.
Despite detecting a "bad" registry everything I have used so far says its OK, including Windows own manual checker.
I have made backups manually but this does not enable scanreg to work under startup.
It would be nice to get back to automatic backups.

Susan B
28-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Oh, that problem..... I've been down that road a few times. MSN has been one cause in the past.

Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it without having a good backup - when it happened to me I had at least one good copy to reinstall.

Unless someone else comes up with a better suggestion, I'd say it might pay to reinstall Windows. You won't lose your programs or data but it would still pay to do some backups just in case.

Rod ger
28-11-2002, 09:24 PM
Been looking on the MSKB and they say faulty memory. But I have downloaded a memory testing proggy and all is OK.
I thought I may not have enough mem in DOS( I have had a bad config for my CD which I had not got around to fixing for a bit) and am into the process of moving everything HIGH to max the available memory. Ive got a drivespace line that I don't know how got there, so that will take a bit of looking into.
I'm going to try without startup proggies too, to see if the fault lies there.
I figure I'll keep your reinstall option as a last resort. Thanks for that Susan I hadn't thought of it.