PDA

View Full Version : no encryption in IE

loser
27-11-2002, 08:55 PM
just trying to set up a computer (old 486) for my grandparents.
got win95, tried to install ie5.5 over ie3.whatever and when rebooted was told a couple of dll's were either missing or corrupt. no IE works but has no encryption (ie 0-bit encryption). re-runnin setup no joy. any help?
thanking you in advance... ;)

Synchronised_Thoughts
27-11-2002, 09:14 PM
WHy dont you try another internet browser instead of IE??

Synchronised_Thoughts

godfather
27-11-2002, 09:19 PM
I have often found that the upgrade will not work in one move, and have had to go IE3 ---> IE4 ----> IE5 to avoid similar situations.

Never located the reason, but they either refuse to run or refuse to finish setup unless "stepped"

loser
27-11-2002, 09:23 PM
don't think i hadn't thought of it. i had opera on there, but then i thought that for my grandparents, who know *nothing* bout computers, if they ever have to ask anyone else to help them with something, then things might be a little easier if they are using IE. also they want to do internet banking, some bank sites are not compatible with alternative browsers.
all in all i think ie will be less hassle (if i can get this encrytion thing sorted).

BTW, i've tried the suggestion on the MSKB article but it don't work.

loser
27-11-2002, 09:24 PM
uh kay, but now i'm stuck with a high version that i can't use and can't get rid of. can't uninstall it because of the error i got when installing it.
how do i remove it? and where can i get hold of ie4?

tweak\'e
27-11-2002, 10:10 PM
might be a good idea to use IEeraticator to remove IE then reinstall 5.5.

nz_liam
28-11-2002, 10:24 AM
Just to add my 2C worth, my 76 year old Grandma & 82 year old Poppa have just got a computer.... And they donít have any problems using Mozilla (I chose it because it was a lot more stable/secure than IE), and yes it runs https (encrypted sites fine).

Cheers

Liam

Chilling_Silence
28-11-2002, 10:36 AM
I've got an origional IE 4.0 CD, 5.5 on a PCW disc and also 6.0 (Which doesnt work on 95 I think) so If you wanna give me some contact details, I'll mail you a burnt CD with both on it or just the origional 4.0 CD!

Otherwise, I could try putting it up online all zipped up... I'll see how big it is when I get home. Would you rather download it or have it sent on a CD (I'd bee geared towards the CD...)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

loser
28-11-2002, 05:24 PM
that'd be awesome if you could burn both 4 and 5.5 on it for me.
i'll put my details up on my home page
http://www.geocities.com/t_p3
i don't wanna post them here. my internet connection out here in the wops is not good enough to download anything over about half a meg.
cheers. i managed to get rid of 5.5 and so i'm back to 3.0 now, i'll go through the step ups.

loser
28-11-2002, 05:29 PM
hold that thought. i just got handed a cd with 4.0 on it. thanks heaps for the offer though.