PDA

View Full Version : Time For A New Sound Card?

JamesStewart
27-11-2002, 03:44 PM
Hello All. I am have some very werid problems with my sound card. First off, I have NO idea what our sound card is, becuase in "Device Management" it says this:

Audia Codecs
Aureal Vorten 8830 Audio (WDM)
Aureal Vortex Game Port
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Caputure Devices
Media Control Devices
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Video Codecs

I play GTA3 alot and the sound card seems to give up and crap out in the middle of a game. Then when I go back to windows, the sound card won't play anything in there. I also remember using Windows ME (I know know, BIG mistake) but I had Diamond Vipper V770 and Diamond Monster Sound II on that computer and it had all these cool 3D drives and wot not. But now I don't get 3D sound and none of the drivers work on XP PRO. I am really confussed. I think the sound card is running on XP Drivers :/ Oh yeah, I do want 3D sound as we have a Cambridge Sound Works System with 4 speakers and sub and it seems a waste not having te 3D sound.

Hope Some one can help.

Thanks

James

tweak\'e
27-11-2002, 03:57 PM
aureal audio cards..........i never did like them. chuck it and get something decent.....preferably one that that you know the manafacture will still be around in years to come unlike aureal.

Chilling_Silence
27-11-2002, 04:09 PM
I'm about to go for a SB!Live 5.1 Channel soundcard for about $79 all up. I'll let you know how it goes, but I've read good reviews about it!

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

(BTW - In keeping with Tweak'es advice, They've been around a while and I've still got some old SB16 cards lying around too)(They work well too mind you)(:p)