PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Virus?

lyndahull
27-11-2002, 11:30 AM
When I turned on the computer yesterday and opened Outlook Express everything in it had disappeared (folders, messages, address book) and it was showing the Welcome to Outlook Express message. I'm hoping desperated that the messages and address book will be somewhere - but where???

I also found that none of the Microsoft Office 2000 programs would operate until I had reinstalled them.

Went online to Symantec to do a manual update and did a full virus scan which showed nothing. However, it still appears to be suspiciously like a virus. A collegues computer had the same problem with Word 97 this morning.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, especially on how to find my lost emails!! Thanks for your time and effort all you guys!! :D

Synchronised_Thoughts
27-11-2002, 11:34 AM
what type of email do you have?? (e.g. hotmail? MSN? ISP address??)

It sounds lke the worm virus kind off, i had the worm virus a little while back and I had basiclly the same things happen to me, except that I never used outlook express... Is hat the only program that is not working??:|

Synchronised_Thoughts

honeylaser
27-11-2002, 11:40 AM
Ctrl-F (or Start > Find/Search) and search for *.pst, and you should be able to find your email file if it is still in existence. If you do find it, it may pay to back it up to disk immediately (or transfer it to another machine if you can).

Its a bit odd that your MS Office apps aren't working (or don't appear to be installed). For some reason, it almost sounds like you have logged in as another user by mistake (hence the email and Office not being set up).

What was your login process?

Chilling_Silence
27-11-2002, 11:44 AM
What OS are you running? Honeylaser's idea sounds quite valid. If it's 9x/Me thou, they usually dont have individual preferences like that... but it is possible to setup, but not default.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

honeylaser
27-11-2002, 11:51 AM
Hmm.. would have to be a very very big bad nasty virus to knock out all Office apps, and destroy all traces of email and profiles.