PDA

View Full Version : Personal Web Page

avdave
27-11-2002, 09:05 AM
I want to know if it o.k to use any (anybody's) Url address as an information link in a Personal Web Page. Thankyou.

Synchronised_Thoughts
27-11-2002, 09:14 AM
what type or URl's are you talking about??:|

Synchronised_Thoughts

Baldy
27-11-2002, 09:24 AM
> I want to know if it o.k to use any (anybody's) Url
> address as an information link in a Personal Web
> Page. Thankyou.

Do you mean say a link to your favourite web sites - or - your home page?

If you are recommending a site I can't see that it would hurt, although you could always ask permission from the Webmaster

BALDY:-)

tweak\'e
27-11-2002, 09:25 AM
can't see why not. almost every website does that. the risk you take of course is that the site may dissapear and you will have a dead link to annoy your readers. If its important then copy it over to your site (provided you have permision exspecially if it copyrighted material).

Greg S
27-11-2002, 09:35 AM
Hi. It's definitly ok to link to other sites. However there are a couple of etiquettes to be aware of - most sites dislike it when you link directly to content within their site, rather than their front page. Also it's often regarded as bandwidth "theft" if you do something like post a thumbnail image on your site, which links to the full sized image on the other site, or post a link directly to a downloadable file on their site.

avdave
27-11-2002, 07:22 PM
Links to favourite Web sites ie . www.airliners.net.......
Thanks for the reply..........check out the site mentioned.

avdave
27-11-2002, 07:36 PM
thankyou. I did encounter a copyrighted infringment by posting a neat photograph of lightning over Wellinton, I removed the photo within minutes of receiving the complaint which was a shame ,it really was a neat photo and i would of been pleased if it was me who took the shot and somebody wanted it on thier Web Page......................it's a funny world.

Susan B
28-11-2002, 03:04 PM
>> I did encounter a copyrighted infringment by posting a neat photograph of lightning over Wellinton......... which was a shame ,it really was a neat photo and i would of been pleased if it was me who took the shot and somebody wanted it on thier Web Page

The problem is that a lot of people pinch other people's work and then CLAIM IT IS THEIR OWN. Artists/designers, etc loathe this sort of thing, with justification.

Obviously you didn't do that but if you had sent an email to them asking if you could "borrow" it telling them that you would acknowledge the photographer, link to their site, etc etc and then provide them with a link to your page for approval, they may have been more obliging. I have done this before and, as you would be, they were only too delighted to have me do so.

Graham L
28-11-2002, 03:24 PM
A link to someone's pages is OK: if the stuff is on a publicly accessible server it means they want people to see the content. Copying the content onto your site without permission is an offence under the copyright laws. Even copying (beyond "fair use") with a citation is illegal. Permission is the essential thing, unless the content is explicitly "in the public domain".

The sites who don't like direct links (that is, avoiding their top level home page) are those who want visitors to see all their advertisements, login, etc. There are various ways which can make it hard or impossible for such links to work.

avdave
28-11-2002, 05:03 PM
Thankyou Susan, as you suggest I will check with the web sites first. That way we do not step on anyones toes and everything is aok in their world. Cheers Dave. Will check out your web page.

avdave
28-11-2002, 05:11 PM
Thanks Graham,
Because my page will have a theme (golf) the links will only point people to all things golf. From all the replies I have had on this topic seems the safest thing to do is contact the web pages for permission first.
Cheers Dave.

avdave
28-11-2002, 09:30 PM
Thanks Greg,
Will gain permission First and make sure its set to go to the sites Home - front page. Cheers Dave.