PDA

View Full Version : Episode Two begins: Norton AV won't update

Susan B
27-11-2002, 07:43 AM
Episode Two: you've been warned and now here it comes! :D

Norton AV 2002 is installed but it won't/can't do a Live Update. It goes through the motions, downloads goodness knows what then the dialogue box announces that Symantec Redirector, Norton AV Virus Definitions, Norton AV 2002 and LiveReg has not been installed. Duh, so much for Live Update.

The virus definitions are as old as August 2001 :O and I know I can download the latest ones manually, but is there something I can do to make it do it for me?

OS is Win XP with SP1.

FrankS
27-11-2002, 08:47 AM
Got to go through this update procedure shortlly, did you print out the 8 pages of instructions obtainable when you click on the "How to renew your subscription services" and "How to find your version of Subscription Services" links in JenC message Nov 26 2002 5.36pm

Chris Randal
27-11-2002, 09:34 AM
Or unload it and use AVG

Baldy
27-11-2002, 09:37 AM
Is this a whole new disc you have brought Susan, or did you install from the disc you had on the old computer?

When I installed my new disc, it just downloaded everything there and then. Everything was installed up to date.

BALDY:-)

-=JM=-
27-11-2002, 02:05 PM
THat would be your hosts file stopping it Susan. Symantec use Akamai for there live updates. Try commenting out these lines.

#0.0.0.0 a1828.g.akamai.net

Also you can have a look at the Nortons logs to check which servers it is having trouble with. These are located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate

Mike
27-11-2002, 06:52 PM
> THat would be your hosts file stopping it Susan.
> Symantec use Akamai for there live updates. Try
> commenting out these lines.
>
> #0.0.0.0 a1828.g.akamai.net
>
> Also you can have a look at the Nortons logs to check
> which servers it is having trouble with. These are
> located in C:\Documents and Settings\All
> Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate

Hmmm... how interesting - I've got the modified HOSTS file and it's never bothered NAV's autoupdating... it's got akamai in there, but a slightly different address from that one, so that'll probably have something to do with it :)

Mike.

-=JM=-
27-11-2002, 07:02 PM
Yeah only some of the akamai servers are used for updates.

FrankS
28-11-2002, 02:44 PM
Found the instructions that I suggested were'nt a lot of help. Running XP with SP1 and Nortons 2001, sub expires 54 days time, advised you will get instructions on how to renew sub about 30 days before expiry. Last year it cost US$9.95 for a years sub or could get 2002 at a reduced price, got a years sub, will do same again. Other info I found was that up to v5 no longer supported. 2001 is v7.

Susan B
28-11-2002, 02:50 PM
Thank you for all the replies to this query.

Unfortunately I haven't resolved it yet - the Hosts file wasn't working at that time so it wasn't that, and I've uninstalled NAV for now. Will remove all the "scraps" now that I've found the instruction page then will have another go, using a different tactic.

Baldy: this version of NAV is one that came with my motherboard. I might try my Norton Utilities 2002 NAV to see if I have better luck with that.

If that fails then I'm going to convert to AVG. :D

Kiwitas
28-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Hi Susan B,

Just a thought on your problem with "Live update"?
Are you running Agnitum's Outpost firewall?

I can't even get a manual update for Norton without switching
it off!

I'm not sure that I am interpreting your problem correctly or not?
But I know there are a few bugs when installing Norton apps if you haven't got rid of every last file of a previous installation!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Susan B
28-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Hi Kiwitas,

Outpost hasn't been installed yet, but thanks for the suggestion. I normally turn it off when installing other programs but I wouldn't have thought to do so when doing a live update, so I'll remember that one. Thanks. :-)

Jen C
28-11-2002, 04:18 PM
Hi Susan and Kiwitas,

You shouldn't have to turn off Outpost in order to do a live update (I never do). Just make sure the permissions are set correct for the update program.

Cheers
Jen

Baldy
28-11-2002, 04:30 PM
AVG is a damn fine product Susan.

-=JM=-
28-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Have you turned off the built in XP firewall?

Susan B
28-11-2002, 06:53 PM
Yep, that was the first thing I did when installing my internet connection.

J ZEP
28-11-2002, 07:05 PM
Hi susan, awile back now i had a similar prob XP & nav 02, in the files would download but not install, after posting on here somebody advised me to just keep trying (liveupdate) and that it may take a couple of tries - which worked if i remember rightly, however i deceided to reinstall nav again and the problem never arose again, so i think the way you are going about it now is the first way to go/try (in reinstalling it), hope it works for you, and theres always the symantec site - why waste a free subscription, the 0800 no always comes in handy for help too which is Ph: n.z 0800 442 795. Goodluck hope you solve it :-). Cause i think its a good A.V program personally. :p to those who don't - ;-) :-)

Susan B
29-11-2002, 02:51 PM
Thanks for that JZEP, after uninstalling then reinstalling and LOTS of fiddling here and there, plus manually downloading everything I could get my hands on :D ........ IT WORKED!!!!

Yep, got it all up-to-date now, at long last. :-)

You know something? I reckon it was the threat of the AVG that I downloaded (thanx DL :-)) that did the trick. ;-)