PDA

View Full Version : web pages

carol
26-11-2002, 08:05 PM
When I go to view web sites created in Geocities or Homestead all the elements and graphics appear in a single column down the left hand side of the page.
How do I go about correcting this?

godfather
26-11-2002, 08:31 PM
Carol, you will need to give details of what browser (IE5.5, IE6, Opera etc) you are running, and if possible one of the web addresses thats giving the troubles, so help can be given.

floppy
26-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Its most probably the setting with the page!

I would think if it was a problem/fault with you browser all pages would display like this. Not just though sites you mentioned.

carol
27-11-2002, 01:40 PM
Hello Godfather,
She is using IE 5.5,Windows 95 and one of the pages that this happens on is www.kismetshetlandsheepdogs.homestead.com/index.html

carol
27-11-2002, 01:43 PM
Hello Floppy,
To explain further I did this web site for a friend and although it views fine on my and other computers on her own is when the problem arises.

tweak\'e
27-11-2002, 02:03 PM
yes it looks like the page is all down on the left hand side. put in some centre tags so its displays in the centre of the page.

also there is no character encoding defined which can cause it not to display properly.

carol
27-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Hi Tweak'e,
Thanks for your info. I'm a raw novice so could you please explain where in the Homestead programme (it's basically drag and drop)I would find 'centre tags' and 'character encoding'.
P.S. Where in the winterless north are you from,I'm originally from Napier.

tweak\'e
27-11-2002, 02:16 PM
and the http://www.kismetshetlandsheepdogs.homestead.com/tanner.html page is blank apart from a back button, unless i id myself as IE or mozilla.

tweak\'e
27-11-2002, 02:28 PM
carol- i got this when trying to download their software

"One moment, please!
We've noticed that you're using a browser that does not support Homestead.
Homestead works best with newer Web browsers such as Netscape Communicator and Microsoft Internet Explorer. To take advantage of Homestead's flexibility, power, and ease of use, you will need to use one of the following Web browsers on a Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME, or NT system:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 and above
Netscape Navigator 4.06 - 4.08, 4.51 - 4.8
Currently, Netscape 6 and above does not support Homestead"

i would suggest you use a better program.

o i live up north somwhere ;-) your name reminds me of someone i did a small pc repair for (o how i dislike outlook).

carol
27-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Tweak'e I just went and looked at the 'tanner' page and it came up okay for me.
Your mail says that for Windows 95 you should have IE 4.0 or above and this lady has 5.5,so that doesn't seem to be the problem. She can and has downloaded their programme without problems,but as a senior citizen she doesn't feel competent to use it as yet.

tweak\'e
27-11-2002, 03:48 PM
yes.....but there is more than just one browser advaiable that readers use. try not to use proprietry codes exspecially for such a small basic site.

carol
27-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Tweak'e,please don't bother replying any further to my problem,your replies are not helping me at all.