PDA

View Full Version : Topo Map under Linux?

Erin Salmon
26-11-2002, 05:11 PM
Hi,

I've completely had it with windows... I have reinstalled my copy of Win98SE 4 times in the past week and a bit.

The last time it ended up loading (even in safe mode), and saying "Explorer has caused a fatal error, and must be shut down", immediately on startup, even before the start menu and icons appeared.

I reinstalled it this morning, and it's been ok thus far (had a few hours of use), but I think it's probably cold turkey Linux time.

However, there are still a few things I use Windows for that I haven't found Linux alternatives for. One of these is a program I use for planning my mountaineering trips called TopoMap NZ.

Is there any Linux Version/Equivalent of this?

I thought it might be possible to program a Linux version of this. There are basically three bits to the program:

Firstly, hundreds of thousands of images (the maps) These are all numbered according to Geographical location.

Secondly, a text file containing the name and map coordinates of every peak, valley, river, town, rain gauge (etc) in the country.

Thirdly, a small app (only a few kb), that reads the text file and locates the appropriate image.

In desperation, I could learn the necessary language, and assemble this third part of the program. When a name is entered into the search field, it reads the text file, and displays the map. It also allows me to scroll across the map, and as I do so, it loads the images.

The other bits would work fine in Linux; a .txt file, and a whole pile of .jpg images.

Is this plausable?

But first, has someone already done it?

Cheers,

Erin

robsonde
26-11-2002, 05:28 PM
I know a lot of people dont like winodws but I think that your problems might be more than just windows........

windows faluts like that often point at bad ram.

as for the map program I am sure there are foke out there who can help you.

Erin Salmon
26-11-2002, 05:31 PM
Hi,

I'm sure my hardware is OK, because it's been working perfectly with Linux for almost a year, until I removed Linux about a fortnight ago.

I've also tried with different Dimms, Different CPUs, and a different Video Card. The Mobo is next...

:)

Erin

Dolby Digital
26-11-2002, 08:21 PM
You could try contacting the developer/distributor of the software and ask them if there are any plans to port it to Linux.

DavidW
26-11-2002, 10:09 PM
TopoMap have an 0800 number
0800627967 Phone them and ask

Erin Salmon
27-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Hi,

I've talked to the Guys from TopoMap, who said that they had thought about making a Linux Version, but nothing really happened...

It looks like it isn't going to happen.

However, I'm going to have a go with Wine, as soon as I can get a competent PC, and download all the necessaries.

:)

Erin