PDA

View Full Version : Conexant modem not working under ME

Nigel Thomson
25-11-2002, 11:38 AM
Hello all
A few weeks ago my Gfs computer ME died after using the recovery disks (its an HP 6701) everything was going fine including the modem, last night I downloaded some updates including one for the modem, and now the modem no longer connects, I get a message saying "the modem is unplugged etc" what is the best approach, using the system restore disk I don't seem to get an option to only fix selected things, is my best option to uninstall the modem (as it seems to be installed ok, and then try reinstalling it), or is there another way
the irony is I am using the modem right now under linux so I know it is not a fault with the modem or the cabling. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Nigel

roofus
25-11-2002, 11:45 AM
possible the wrong drivers for the modem.
Go into the device manager, delete the modem
Restart your computer. It will then detect it, it will then seek to install the best software (hopefully this wasn't the update you applied)
and then its all done. Your modem should be working again.
If this doesn't work Windows ME comes with a system restore function.
Use this to revert your computer to a time when the modem was working.
You will not loose any docments or records. Although software installed during the restore point and now may no longer work and will need to be reinstalled

Nigel Thomson
25-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Thankyou it is all working now.
Nigel T

Graham L
25-11-2002, 02:39 PM
Nice to see that winmodems don't always work with Windows :D You can see why Linux peoplel aren't keen on them ...