PDA

View Full Version : Stuck with Samba Shares again

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2002, 10:57 AM
I've had a laptop running Win2K Crash on me, and it doesnt wanna re-install.
How do I get the laptop (Now booted into Knoppix of the PCW cover disc, able to ping the gateway and also my PC (192.168.0.XXX), able to surf. Now, I've setup a network share that allows everybody full-access control. I've got the stuff on the HDD all into one folder on the direct C-Drive (FAT32 FS), but I cant figure out howto copy the stuff to my share. It'll ping my PC, but nothing else?
Step-By-Step (Really quickly... ;)) What do I do????

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2002, 11:38 AM
I've searched thru the previous post... does anybody have any relevant experience with samba shares?
perhaps a FTPD could be used to suck it off the drive? I'm using the Knoppix with KDE Gui remember...

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2002, 12:23 PM
....ANYBODY???? Pleeeeeasseeee......

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2002, 01:20 PM
AAAArgh... I give up...
Well, I managed to FTP across the web to another PC...
Just wanna ask one last time, anybody know how to do it?

crozier
25-11-2002, 01:49 PM
How about trying Direct Cable Connection using null modem cable or parralell crossover cable?

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2002, 01:59 PM
Well, I'm in Knoppix already and its on the LAN, so why not use it?! I dont have a cable either... plus LAN would be faster if I'm gonna push over 500 megs of data around!

Graham L
25-11-2002, 02:09 PM
Were you trying to copy stuff from the laptop to another machine by running SAMBA on the laptop? It's not clear how you tried to do this ... were you trying to "push" the files with SAMBA? It doesn't qwork like that. ;-)

All you needed to do was make that C: disk available (with a few lines in samba.conf), and used a Windows OS to get the files.

I would have used ftp to do something like that ... SAMBA is an overkill for a onetime thing.

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2002, 02:15 PM
I had a wind share setup on my desktop and was trying to get samba on the laptop to pickup the desktop share. Fromt here, using the laptop I would transfer the files across...
I need to learn it sometime or another, so I figured why not now!?

Graham L
25-11-2002, 02:35 PM
SAMBA is a server which runs on a (linux) computer to make directories and services on that computer available to other computers which have Microsoft OSs. With SAMBA on the laptop making the "C:\" available, I would have "pushed" the stuff from the MS computer. That might have worked. I'm not so sure about "pulling" ...

Chilling_Silence
25-11-2002, 02:55 PM
So how would I do this then?
what's the best way.. would it not even involve samba?

Graham L
25-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Be running SAMBA on the linux machine. At the desktop, use Network Neighbourhood (or whatever the modern version of that is) to find the disk on the Linux box. You can then drag and drop to (or from) it.

The idea is that the linux end "looks like" a MS machine to the MS network members. Linux members have better ways to share things (NFS etc).