PDA

View Full Version : broadband in rural communites - ideas for use?

falvrez
25-11-2002, 09:32 AM
I want to pick your brains...:)

I'm involved with many remote communities in the Far North, and we want to look at the possibility of getting wireless (or using DSLAM units) to provide broadband to some/all of these communities.
Mainly it would be to provide either adult education (virtual classroom) or perhaps job opportunities for some that want to work, but there isn't any to be had locally.

I wonder if anyone else has had involvement such as this, and if so just what are the possible uses of broadband for the above?
Or is this just a current fad: must have broadband it will provide jobs yada yada yada...but in reality it's a pipe (no pun intended) dream?

Look forward to any comments.

ambasluv
25-11-2002, 09:54 AM
I don't claim to be an expert on all this, but last time I checked, broadband was just a faster form of the my little 56k modem... Except it costs a truckload more. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a broadband connection here in Foxton (which seems to be rural as far as Xtra connection speeds seem to go.) to play my playstation 2 on and Internet gaming, and also the fact that it's an 'always on' connection, meaining that Xtra won't decide to kill my net connection all the time like they do....
Basically it comes down to demand. If the people want something, and are willing to fork over the cash to get it, then go ahead and buy, but I wouldn't be donating these sort of things to people unless I could see some sort of profitable gain/

roofus
25-11-2002, 11:51 AM
Well if business use broadband, THen they aren't going to be charged 20c per call they make (or what ever it is) [correct me if i'm wrong]

If your city can get 56k and its pretty small, then there isn't much use pushing for broadband.
yes the yuppies might do some home networking. The farmers might find it usefull for procurement but you need to reach a breakeven point, which is hard due to the initial high costs involved with getting it to small towns, hence why Telecom doesn't do it.

nz_liam
25-11-2002, 01:58 PM
You guys might wan't to check out airnet http://www.airnet.net.nz , a mate of mine runs it... the only problem is it costs between 80 and 200 grand to setup an installation, (then it only costs 25 grand per tower).

Cheers

Liam

tweak\'e
25-11-2002, 02:11 PM
the catch with all this "rural broadband" is actually getting it there. wireless is ok but lacks the range and requires lots of repeater sites (tho you could do it from cellphone towers), phonelines are simply to poor quality, powerlines is an interesting option.

then theres the "do we have a use for it?". i was talking to a few buinessess a while ago. except for the always on ability they simply didn't need the huge speed. the humble modem does the job(just).

would broadband make new jobs or would it mean more CS playes would be online? ;-)

ambasluv
25-11-2002, 02:46 PM
Yep, that's me, CS player through and through, if only my poor 56k modem didn't mean I end up with a ping of about 7000 to Auckland! Put me down for broadband, but only when they stop charging for throughput, and there's a nice cheap unlimited hours rate...