PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else met up with the "Absolutely Bogus WPS Printer Driver" problem?

Billy T
24-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Hi Team

Aside from my other little problems, this afternoon I went to print from my BJC610 Inkjet and got a message that there was no printer driver installed.

Odd, I thought, and on checking deeper I found that all the paper size options had disappeared as well. Printer properties then informed me that I was trying to use the Absolutely Bogus WPS Printer Driver and attempting to change back to the correct driver produced a message saying the driver was not installed.

To cut a long story short, it turns out that this is an easter egg/bug/trojan built into WPSFIX32.DLL and affects a range of printers. When the trojan is activated (and I haven't found out what triggers it) a registry entry is made as follows:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\contro l\Environments\Windows 4.0\Drivers\Absolutely Bogus WPS Printer Driver

I rebooted earlier this afternoon for other reasons and when the computer restarted I saw a message saying that my registry had been corrupted and a current backup restored. Apparently that was the action that changed the registry and disabled the printer driver.

I took a look inside the suspect DLL and sure enough, a text search produced "Absolutely Bogus WPS Printer Driver" at line 000070C0.

Some or all of this may be questionable, but a Google search on WPSFIX32.DLL produced several sites confirming the problem and a search of Press F1 found an instance affecting an HP5L in July this year. I missed that one unfortunately!

There are two ways to fix it apparently, if you delete the registry entry it should come right, or deleting and reinstalling the printer driver works though apparently that method leads to an early return. Seems strange that an updated DLL hasn't been provided.

Wanders away muttering about keeping up quota of human sacrifices in future

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :| :| :|

Bryan D
24-11-2002, 09:16 PM
Good evening Billy.

I have this problem every six weeks or so. The easiest way to fix the problem is to delete any reference to the driver in the Registry. There are normally two. Restart your computer and everything is ok ...... for six weeks or so! I have tried the longer ways mentioned on the net but they don't affect the reappearance of the @#%$#!!!

The reason why an updated dll hasn't been provided is possibly because it is an unauthorised easter egg. It usually affects HP5L's and 6L's and three Canons. No-one wants to take responsibility for it.

You can normally expect the driver to appear when you restart your machine and it hangs on the startup.

Billy T
25-11-2002, 08:27 AM
Thanks Bryan

Unfortunately I had already deleted the driver by the time I found the solution and both registry entries were already gone.

I have details of the two entries so I'll try deleting them next time instead.

I assume that WPSFIX32.DLL is a Microsoft file and I am surprised they haven't simply fixed it. They have a corporate responsibility to do that.

It strikes me that it probably wouldn't be too hard for a good code cutter to find the problem and disable it but since it only affects a few printers and old ones at that I guess the motivation isn't there.

BTW, I wonder what WPSFIX was supposed to fix ?:|

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

Graham L
25-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Tut tut. Didn't try "absolutely bogus" in the PressF1 search page. :-( We've been there. ;-)

Billy T
25-11-2002, 04:32 PM
Yup:D

I did actually Graham.

Reread my post, I was just a little late doing that but I found it before I posted.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)