PDA

View Full Version : New PC - I'm getting there.....

Susan B
24-11-2002, 06:00 PM
For those who might be interested to know, and to inform those who need prior warning :D, I'm finally getting somewhere with the New PC project.

I'm very proud to say that The Beast has now been built - entirely by myself with no physical help, apart from a couple of stubborn screws and an extra hand to hold the CD-ROM while I screwed that in. Win XP is installed and now I'm wading through the process of installing drivers, programs, transferring files, getting connected to the internet, etc etc and finding my way around this new OS.

It has been an interesting experience, not to mention a huge learning curve, and I'd like to acknowledge and thank all those who have given me help and advice. You know who you all are but special mention must go to tweak'e, JM and nz_liam who have been extremely helpful - I would not have done it without them. :x

Brace yourselves for Episode Two now about to begin. ;\ :D

Terry Porritt
24-11-2002, 06:19 PM
It's really a big thrill when you try that boot-up for the first time and it's all systems go :)
Well done Susan.

Billy T
24-11-2002, 06:26 PM
Congratulations Susan (envy envy)

I wondered where you had got to lately. Mind you, I've been awol a bit myself in recent weeks due to work obligations.

I look forward to reading Episode II (Rebirth of the Clone)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D :D :D

Clueless
24-11-2002, 07:22 PM
>I look forward to reading Episode II (Rebirth of the Clone)

na... eposode 2 will be down the track in say 2 years(?) when 4 gig processers are the minimum speed you can buy and RAM is sold in lots of 1 gig per chip, and then only if you hunt round for old stock.

.Clueless

godfather
24-11-2002, 08:04 PM
> I'm very proud to say that The Beast has now been
> built - entirely by myself with no physical help,
> apart from a couple of stubborn screws and an extra
> hand to hold the CD-ROM while I screwed that in.

Well done Susan. How ever did you manage to solder in those really small SMD components on the motherboard? The surface mount ICs are also very tricky, aren't they?

Last motherboard I built 'entirely by myself' was about 1983, using a Z80 processor.
And I soldered all the keyswitches onto a circuit board to make a keyboard. Hope your soldering is up to it!

<who - me? ---- take the p**s?? NEVER! > :D

Baldy
24-11-2002, 08:11 PM
Hiya Susan,

Exciting times ahead with the Beastie. Did you manage to get one of those girlie coloured cases with the all-flashing neon lights?

I'm very envious!

BALDY:-)

Iris
24-11-2002, 08:31 PM
Wow

Always knew you were a smart cookie.

And to think, I think I'm clever just being able to push the button and turn the computer on much less build one!!

Hope this new machine of yours has all the bells and whistles and is all you want.

Don't forget us mere mortals who will still need your help and advice on PF1

PS
This is the 3rd time I've tried to post this. Each time I tried to preview it I got a Null message and the message was gone. So here's hoping this is lucky numer 4

:D B-) :^O

Loud Applause for Susan B

Iris

Jen C
24-11-2002, 08:33 PM
Congrats on getting your new PC up and running. :-)

Have you cluttered up the bare desktop with icons yet? :D. Are you going to post the full specifications and a photo link of the beast so we can all drool?

Jen

Jen C
24-11-2002, 08:37 PM
> PS
> This is the 3rd time I've tried to post this. Each
> time I tried to preview it I got a Null message and
> the message was gone. So here's hoping this is lucky
> numer 4

Iris, have you changed the website URL in your Favourites list to the new one? Go back to PF1 Home Page and add it to your favourites - say yes when it asks to replace current one. Then go and empty out your cookies.

This should fix the null problem.

Jen

rossco
24-11-2002, 09:34 PM
Awesome Susan,
well done and I know the feeling when you first boot and all works well :-)

Happy computing

Rossco

Susan B
24-11-2002, 09:53 PM
Thank you for the kind comments, people. :-)

godfather: yes, I can imagine that people like you and Graham L and others would have as much admiration for today's PC builders as I have for people calling themselves "cooks" by throwing a Watties Instant Dinner into the microwave before eating it.

I almost didn't do the job, almost believing all the people who said I couldn't, which made me all the more determined to decline the tempting offers to help insert the motherboard, the heatsink, the graphics card, the fan, etc etc when they wouldn't go in willingly. That's what I meant by "I did it all myself".

People can "take the p**s" as much as they like because NO ONE is going to rain on my parade now. ;-)

Clueless
24-11-2002, 10:36 PM
Its great isn't it when one can take disbelieving comments like

"you couldn't possible do that, you'd better get a proper computer person to make one"

and shove the comments straight back in the doughting thomus's face with:

Who the **** do you think built/rebuilt and maintains these things?"

wuppo
25-11-2002, 06:12 AM
Now I get it - you're meant to heat those WIDs before eating them.

mark c
25-11-2002, 12:29 PM
YAY for Susan B! Congratulations and hope you're still around when I get to put one together myself.

I know what you mean that compared to twenty yrs ago it's like a kitset but go for it anyway. No point reinventing every wheel.

Good on you.

mark :D c

J ZEP
26-11-2002, 03:58 PM
> I'm very proud to say that The Beast has now been
> built - entirely by myself

Well done Susan - I knew you could do it ;-), it must have been a real buzz hitting the switch and having it all go fine the first time :-)
Now you'll be able to help me when i decide to start a rebuild project :D
So congrats and hope its all running well!!!! - sorry i am a bit belated in my post, i am a couple of days threads behind and just catching up :8}

> Brace yourselves for Episode Two now about to begin.
> ;\ :D
That will be fun :-)

TonyF
26-11-2002, 10:24 PM
"I almost didn't do the job, almost believing all the people who said I couldn't, "

Well done Susan B. There are any number of knockers who will sling off at anything but maybe Bruce can keep them under control. Plugging all the bits together is easy they say - but wait till Redmond strikes.....
Those who have hooked things together over the years ( in my case audio amps) know full well the thrill of the first switchon ...

Cheers TonyF

Clueless
26-11-2002, 10:53 PM
*waving his walking stick*

I remember when DIY was a proud part of NZ culture, now it is almost held in disbelief that someone actually did something that "only the proffessionals can do"!

.Clueless

Fishb8
27-11-2002, 04:54 AM
Good one Susan!
Have a fish - <*)))))><{
BTW - What specs does it have and how much did it cost?
~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~
~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~
Roy Price - May the Fish be with you