PDA

View Full Version : TCP/IP problem

bydand
24-11-2002, 05:27 PM
I make my connection to Clear and in less than a minute it closes. I then go to System tools/system info/components/Problem Devices, then I get the following message, This device has a problem code=2 (components)...TCP/IP.
A list of drivers follows and each has the same error message...Driver not installed. Please help... bydand.

godfather
24-11-2002, 08:54 PM
You will probably get some meaningful assistance if you can advise what version of Windows (assuming its not an Apple) you are running, if you are connecting via ADSL, Cable, phone line dial-up or Satellite.

bydand
26-11-2002, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your reply, here is the info you requested.....I am using Windows98 2nd ed. and use Clear as my ISP. dialup connection....bydand.

tweak\'e
26-11-2002, 11:56 AM
thers several things that can be. incorrect setings, spyware infestion, fault in firewall, poor or corupt modem drivers or corupt tcp/ip.

check for spyware (adaware is great for this), make sure you have the proper drivers handy for the modem, uninstall any firewalls, make sure any leftover bits are cleaned out, remove modem drivers, remove tcp/ip.

reinstall tcp/ip, check settings, reinstall modem, check dail up networking setup, check that it all works before installing any firewalls.

Erin Salmon
26-11-2002, 05:03 PM
In fact, I'd get rid of all firewalls, and if you've got Zone Alarm, you'll need to get more info on how to get rid of properly.

Firewalls go pretty deep into the TCP/IP settings, and uninstalling them does not always undo what they have set up.

I had a TCP/IP problem very similar to yours about a week and a half ago. I replaced:

DUN (from 3 CDs)
TCP/IP (from 3 CDs)
Networking (from 3 CDs)
The Modem
Another Modem
The cables

I also moved the PC to a different phone jack.

Then I replaced windows... No joy.

I replaced it again, that go the bastard!

:)

"If brute force isn't working, you're not using enough" - Pythagorus.

Erin