PDA

View Full Version : Random Crashes

Karz
24-11-2002, 01:35 AM
Hi all,

My computer has an annoying habbit of freezing with no pattern or reason. I cant identify any pattern whatsoever. However It is usually when the internet is connected, winamp is running, and a guarenteed crash if trying to transfer files on the network.

Running windows ME with a dynalink 1456vqh-r modem and a surecom ep 320x-r network card.

I have tried upgradeing all appropriate drivers, killing any possible sofware, and changing winamp versions or not using winamp.
Im also positive its not temperature or overheating related. (the chip is wel cooled and not overclocked.)

the computer is not long formatted and Im pretty keen to not format again.

could my geforce 4 mx be the problem? drivers have also been upgraded.

thanks for any tips at all,
karz

Jim B
24-11-2002, 08:12 AM
Try lowering your video acceleration a bit at a time and restarting and checking if any improvement.
Start/Settings/Control panel/System
Click on the Performance Tab and then Graphics button

robo
24-11-2002, 08:13 AM
I would go through everything in startup and disable things.

Then, use TweakUI to maybe disable even more if it doesn't help.

Beyond that, without going bonkers and reinstalling, you are hovering dangerously close to the "oh well, it happens" answer.

robo.

Jimbo
24-11-2002, 09:07 AM
There was a good article in one of the computer mags recently about the BSOD and how to avoid it I think it was last months APC maybe someone else can be more sure. How old is your machine if disabling things at start up does not work then maybe you should be looking at hardware ie ram etc I solved a random crash problem on a machine by replacing some faulty ram just a process of elimination I suppose.

roofus
24-11-2002, 09:51 AM
Hold on, i don't think he is getting a BSOD though. Are you?
Or is it just freezing and all of a sudden the keys and mouse don't work?
If the later scenario occurs, check to see if your keyboard still works by pressing the caps lock key on and off, and look to see if the capslock light turns on/off on the keyboard

tweak\'e
24-11-2002, 02:07 PM
>and a guarenteed crash if trying to transfer files on the network

does it go ok if its disconected off the network? also when the network card is pulled out?

could be network related (includeing spyware). chech the network settings and make sure NO spyware is present (they can interfer with the network drivers).