PDA

View Full Version : Windows Me

Nelson
23-11-2002, 05:53 PM
How can I add windows setup to the add remove program without having to install the whole Me setup and rewrite or update other files.

roofus
23-11-2002, 06:00 PM
?????? what are you talking about ????????

Nelson
23-11-2002, 07:46 PM
when you go to add remove programs you have 3 options along the top
install/uninstall windows setup startup disk,well i used to have the files
in windows setup now i have none.

raddersnz
24-11-2002, 01:10 AM
So, what did Windows Setup actually do?:|

I think that this is just a "properties" in disguise, but not sure?:|

roofus
24-11-2002, 09:33 AM
ok install/uninstall --> this for the programmes you install on the computer. There will not be an option under here to install or uninstall windows

Windows setup --> This is where you can add and remove applications that come with the windows operating system. In here there is no option to uninstall windows either. Now are you trying to say that the options within this tab are no longer avaliable?
YOu should have radio buttons saying things like accessories, address book, communications etc
Are you saying you don't have these options?

Jen C
24-11-2002, 10:08 AM
I think Nelson's problems is that his INF files have moved or been corrupted. This will result in the list of programs that appear under the Window setup tab to disappear - only a blank white space will show.

Have a look for the folder INF in the C:\WINDOWS directory. It is a hidden system file so you will need to enable show hidden files first. Can you find this folder? Are there a large number of files inside?

What have you been doing previously to your system - is ME a fresh upgrade you have done, or have you been having a clean up of files?