PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing MS Office 2000 Pro in WIN Xp

pchelp
23-11-2002, 05:32 PM
I am having problem installing MS Office 2000 in WIN XP Home Edition.
I can run setup ok, but it always stop near the end of the process with a fatal error.

Lohsing
23-11-2002, 07:46 PM
Is this an original CD? Have you recently purchased more ram?

If this isn't an original CD... then that could be your problem there.

If you have purchased more ram recently, it could be a problem as Office 2000 is pretty large to install and utilises your ram fully... any probs with your ram will result in "fatal errors" and auto restarts...

Lo.

rugila
24-11-2002, 12:28 AM
Probably your fatal error is "Installer Terminated Prematurely" etc.
Try searching through Google or similar and you should find others who have had the same problem. It is acknowledged as a problem on the Microsoft knowledge database, but effective solutions are really pretty hard to come by.
If you do have original (non-pirated) Microsoft software then Microsoft really has an obligation to fix the problem. Whether they would actually do so or not is another problem ...

mejobloggs
24-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Also, I think you can only use the CD to install twice, and after that the programs dont work.
We had to ring Microsoft and explain that we got a new computer, and we wanted to install Office 2000, and they did something for us.

tweak\'e
24-11-2002, 02:50 PM
> Also, I think you can only use the CD to install
> twice, and after that the programs dont work.
> We had to ring Microsoft and explain that we got a
> new computer, and we wanted to install Office 2000,
> and they did something for us.

i think you are thinking of the copy protection Office2k has. you can use it 50times before it has to be registered(if you don't register it will not run). if you upgrade your machine (or new machine) and reinstall it, you will need to reregister it. however all that happens after you have got it installed.

sorry i don't know why its not installing on winXP. i would update winXP and make sure your disk is not damaged.

rossco
24-11-2002, 03:17 PM
Another thing to try would be to install it in safemode ?:l

Although like some of the others said, check MS Technet/KB for solutions first.

regards

Rossco