PDA

View Full Version : modem speeds

anig
23-11-2002, 04:24 PM
can someone people give me some light as to why i only get 33.6 dial up speeds when i have a 56 k modem. I had a friends computer here and got 52.2 dial up speeds so its not the line. i am pulling my hair out as to what it could be. your help would be grateful.

tweak\'e
23-11-2002, 04:41 PM
firstly, How do you know you are only getting 33.6k speed? the speed repeorted by the little icon on the tray is logon speed and be made to report almost anything.

check your actuall download speed (eg go download a mp3, movie, zip file and see what your speed is)

Peter Coleman
23-11-2002, 09:43 PM
Hi,could be a few things;wrong drivers,old modem(as in 56k flex,or X2,not V90),or it could be the modem has been slowed down to 33.6 with a string put in the extra settings of the modem properties.If you look in the "advanced" section of the modem properties,in the control panel,and if you have +ms=v34,then take this out.This is what is slowing down your modem.Try those and see how you go.

Peter

anig
24-11-2002, 09:09 AM
Thanks for that Pete i looked in the control panel and it says 38=0-v90=0.
i have a pragmatic 56k voice modem. v.90 pci if that means any thing. Its only about 4 months old.

roofus
24-11-2002, 09:40 AM
I have this modem also and it runs fine.
So basically we need to sort out your driver issue.
Download the latest drivers. (It's a lucent chipset)
install them and get back to us
Also remove any settings you have in the extra setting dialogue, there is no need for them
Under the 'general' tab of the modem properties set the speed to 115200 but DO NOT click the box that says "only connect at this speed" this should be UNTICKED.
GIve that a go and get back to us

Jim B
24-11-2002, 02:25 PM
The extra settings that are there restrict your connection to 33k

They are probably there for a reason as you may not be able to connect without them or you may get frequent disconnects.
No harm to try without them but note the settings before you remove them so you can add them back if required.