PDA

View Full Version : DHCP and Windows XP Home

GunCom
23-11-2002, 09:15 AM
I have set up a small network using Rehat 8 as the server with six Win98 clients and one WinXP Home client. The DHCP server assigns IP addresses automatically to the '98 clients but 'XP client doesn't get an IP address. ('ipconfig' shows IP address as 0.0.0.0 in the 'XP machine). As a result the '98 clients are all on the network but not the 'XP. When I assign 'XP a static IP address it goes on the network no problem.
How to I get 'XP to accept an IP address automatically. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Graham L
23-11-2002, 03:15 PM
I believ that XP Home has some limitations on network usage. I'd be inclined to give it a fixed IP address and leave well alone. It works like that. :D

DHCP is all very well, but it's intended for big systems where there are frequent changes. With a total of 7 clients and one server ... It's not difficult to give ermanannet addresses to all of them. You would probably need to make a "hosts" file for each machine (but you can just copy the same file to all of them).

GunCom
26-11-2002, 09:20 AM
Thanx Graham. I get your drift and accept that 'XP Home is limited in this area and will stick with a static IP address. I appreciate the time you spent doing this reply. Cheers.