PDA

View Full Version : Format problems - insufficient memory

aperahama
23-11-2002, 09:07 AM
I have been having troubles with windows 98 (more so than usual) recently, now it will not start and scandisk says that there is a problem it can not fix, so I decided that it was time to reinstall windows.

Upon running format on the C drive it starts by checking the existing disk format and then starts to record current bad clusters, it gets to 24% and then gives me the message "Insufficient memory". I have 320 Mb fitted and the "mem" command reveals that DOS sees that much memory.

The hard drive is 20 Gb broken into several partitions, the C partition that I wish to reformat is about 7 or 8 Gb.

Thankfully I have Linux installed which has enabled me to log on here.

Thanks for any help you can give

robo
23-11-2002, 09:11 AM
insufficent memory is a weird problem for formatting a partition. Try booting off another floppy and repeat the process. Or format from Linux then do the old sys c: from a floppy (that boots 98 and has sys.com on it).
robo.

Elephant
23-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Likely causes are listed below. I hope this helps.

Hard disk drive has no room to place system files or to backup data on hard disk drive incase the drive needs to be unformatted.

This issue is most commonly caused because the hard disk drive has no capacity to place information on the hard disk drive incase it needs to be unformatted. To resolve this issue run an unconditional format on the hard disk drive by typing the following at the MS-DOS prompt.

format c: /u <press enter>

Master boot record is corrupted.

If when running an unconditional format you experience the same issue it is possible that the master boot record may be corrupted to resolve this issue type the following at the MS-DOS prompt.

fdisk /mbr <press enter>

Partitions are corrupted or missing.

If you continue to experience the same issues after attempting the above two suggestions it is recommended that you fdisk, delete the partitions and recreate the partitions then type at the MS-DOS prompt.

fdisk /mbr <press enter>

Hard disk drive is bad.

Unfortunately if none of the above recommendations resolve your issue it is likely that the hard disk drive is bad and it is recommended that it be replaced.

aperahama
23-11-2002, 09:23 AM
thanks robo, yes it is an odd problem, I've re-formatted my drives on several occasions and have not struck this problem before.

I have already tried from a 98 start-up disk, the format command from the c drive and finally from a 95 start up disk that I used to format the drive in the first place, I am a little reluctant to use linux to format the drive (all my data files are on anther partition of the drive and I'm a nervous about losing them)

aperahama
23-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Thanks Elephant

I don't like the sound of what you are saying as it points to a bad drive

the MBR has LILO (linux loader) installed to give me dual boot and that is working fine, I am sure that there is plenty of space on the disk.

as i mentioned to rodo I have my data files on another partition on the disk so I am reluctant to run fdisk.

I will go now and give your suggestion a try, thanks again