PDA

View Full Version : Free Image/Photo Editors

Lucy
22-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Can someone please give me advice on which is the easiest to use for beginners like me who need things in plain English? I've been told that IrfanView is really good, and someone else suggested Photoplus 5.5. Any suggestions folks? Thanks :)

godfather
22-11-2002, 09:58 PM
As this comes down to personal choice, and considering they are both free, why not install both of them and decide which one you like best.

You can always uninstall the other one, or just leave it unused.

I am sure each will have advantages in certain areas, but either would work.

SoniKalien
22-11-2002, 10:09 PM
There is the Gimp too, which is probably the most powerfull of the lot.

Just download, install, tutu, and see which one you hook onto the easiest.

SiK

the highlander
22-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Irfan view is a brilliant multi purpose programme capable of very fast basic photo editing and with some plugins capable of a great deal more. It will open, convert and save in just about every format and play avi, mp3, wma and quicktime with the correct plugin. make sure when/if you download it you also download the plug in zip file as well. It's always the first program I load on any computer.

For something with a little more Pizzaz Ulitimate FX (google web search will find it) is nice and also free but ad supported. The ad support is visible and not lurking as spyware and is easy to ignore. It supports photoshop plugins but has about 200 special effects that comes with it. All the special effects can be viewed as previews and it has multiple undos.
A visit to completelyfreesoftware.com will offer reviews on various
If you want something with more power u can often pick up corel photopaint 7 or 8 at cash converters for around $10 and that has a decent help and wizard system.
Another good buy at the moment is Adobe photo deluxe 3 which the importer seems to have dumped at auction since there are legimate brand new shrink wrap copies floating around various second hand computer stores for around $15. The only real difference between it and the full price version 4 is that version 3 is not fully xp compatible out of the box, It needs a free patch downloaded. This is actually quite a powerful powerful programme that gives you simplistic wizards on how to many common and not so common image editing techniques.

the highlander
22-11-2002, 10:34 PM
A visit to completelyfreesoftware.com will offer reviews on various categories of free image viewers and editors.
nonags.com also has a good selection.

Gimp is a powerful image editor but somewhat buggy and reasonably complicated to get to know but heck its free.

Clueless
23-11-2002, 05:11 AM
gimp...

i'd call it a poormans photoshop, but after a little getting used to it is a powerful editor...

An absolute no-no on a 800x600 screen though

.Clueless

rugila
23-11-2002, 10:00 AM
Regarding photo etc editors, I have Adobe Photoshop 5.5 which is very good. Have also tried Irfanview etc. that's OK.
But I do have a problem regarding printing and page layout though. Is there a good and cheap or free editor that will not only edit but do a page layout job for printing as well.
Something like Quark is outside my price range. Currently I use MGI Photosuite to do simple picture editing and Adobe 5.5 to do the more sophisticated. But I always seem to have to use MGI Photosuite to do the page layouts for printing.
i.e. What's a good page layout program, preferably one with good picture editing capabilities as well?

Lucy
23-11-2002, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll give them a go :)

kiwibeat
23-11-2002, 11:14 AM
I use ACDsee myself its not free but you can use a trial version to test it out photoshop is the most powerful editor but takes a lot of time to learn

Kiwitas
23-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Hi Lucy,

The most popular(reading between the lines at other Forums), FREE, Image Editor is probably Irfanview and if you download all the plug-ins with it,it will open just about anything!

"But",if you find that you don't like it,make sure that you un-install every last file before installing an alternative!It is inclined to associate it's-self with everything!

A lot of people like Gimp,as it is open-source and of course free!

Of the Pay-for apps,PhotoShop is probably the best and also the most expensive,But I like ACDsee as it like Irfanview will open most things!

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

tweak\'e
23-11-2002, 02:00 PM
on a side note here.......

isn't it amazimg how many people think that Photoshop is FREE ?:| ?:| ?:|