PDA

View Full Version : Why Kazaa Lite?

Baldy
22-11-2002, 10:29 AM
A thread that Roofus made has got me wondering........

What is so wrong with the "unhacked" original Kazaa?

I have been a Kazaa user for yonks (ever since Audiogalaxy went AWOL) and have to say all the hype surrounding Kazaa Lite is a little well ummmm.

I have never noticed anything negative with my computer when hooked up to Kazaa. My computer seems to work reasonably fast (as fast as a Celeron 733mhz with 256mb RAM will anyway) and I can't see anything negative at all in using it. I don't get anything weird being downloaded, unless I want it, hardly ever/never see any pop-ups (well no more than normal anyway) don't get spam mail.

So whats the big deal about Lite?

BALDY:-)

gibler
22-11-2002, 10:52 AM
Spyware.

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2002, 10:58 AM
...The names' Bond... James Bond!

Baldy
22-11-2002, 11:06 AM
> ...The names' Bond... James Bond!

LOL

Baldy
22-11-2002, 11:12 AM
> Spyware.

What kind of spyware?

The reason I asked that question was that I used to have Kazaa Lite, then I put the "unhacked" version on and nothing seems any different. Apart from getting better downloads.

Did yoiu know gibler, that you can be eavesdropped on when you are using your telephone. Or have you installed a voice scrambler?

gibler
22-11-2002, 11:24 AM
http://doa2.host.sk/aboutkazaa.htm

I just don't like getting friendly with the spammers.

I speak yiddish to put the eavesdroppers off ;)

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2002, 11:28 AM
> I speak yiddish to put the eavesdroppers off ;)

I'm an avid starwars fan, but I cant find anywhere that'll teach me Huttese (Jabba the Hutt....)!!!!

Baldy
22-11-2002, 11:36 AM
> I just don't like getting friendly with the
> spammers.

Oh the spammers........ well from all the paranoia surrounding Kazaa, and what everyone is saying about "spyware" you would think the KGB is watching over your shoulders or something.

Baldy:-)

gibler
22-11-2002, 11:44 AM
I think it is a case of, if you really don't desire the spyware and there is an alternative then why put up it?

Baldy
22-11-2002, 11:54 AM
True......

So really, all that Kazaa is doing, is putting a "spyware/adware" cookie onto your system to help pay for the Kazaa network.

Just like the Doubleclick cookie (Adaware picks up DC as well) that PressF1 puts on your browser - or wherever it goes - to get revenue to cover the costs of PressF1 etc.

Whats the difference?

Chilling_Silence
22-11-2002, 11:58 AM
I've blocked that cookie... I wouldnt download the "Unhacked" (As you call it) version of kazaa either.
That's used by Pf1 to monitor what ad's you've already seen (From what I understand doubleclick is used for.. but dont hold me to that okay!). If some genius made a Pf1 mirror that had no ads, then I'd go there probably, especially at home on a venerable 56K modem.. Save on load times and all...!!!

SKT174
22-11-2002, 12:25 PM
I've read somewhere that says Kazaa uses yr PC as a node and uses your bandwidth, resources without u knowing it ... I can't remember where.. PC World mag :D ?

gibler
22-11-2002, 12:42 PM
You can turn this off (in kazaa lite at lease).
I think by default it is turned on.

i-gordon
22-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Explanation of Kazaa available at http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/05/07/kazaa.software.idg/
good enough reason to use KazaaLite

Kiwitas
22-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Hi Baldy and all,

>
> What is so wrong with the "unhacked" original Kazaa?
>
There is probably not too much wrong with the full version "KaZaa"
but why take the risk of Spyware that "could" be the start of you getting Spam,when for very little extra effort in downloading "KaZaa-Lite"you
have a clear opening page with no cookies,no banners or anything like adverts & consequently a lesser risk.
Incidently,the only thing that "Clint-cd dll file" did,was open the Splash screen

Where you go from there,could be the danger area,depending on what you want to download.

If you are just downloading MP3's, the risk will be minimal as it is easy to see the file extention and if there is a bogey embedded in it,you wont be able to play it on any of your Media apps,as it will be corupted!

But remember,there are all sorts of files to be had on these P2P apps
And if for instance,you wanted a Serial# for XP,who knows what you might get?

I have never had a problem with the Lite Ver and have many times left it on from midnight till 6-7.00am with 20 MP3 titles to get and in the morning they are all there!

I see in one of your earlier posts that you find KaZaa faster than K/Lite so I suppose it comes down to personal choose?

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Mike
24-11-2002, 10:48 AM
>>> I'm an avid starwars fan

The Warehouse is selling EpII at the moment for $31.99 :D

not that this has anything to do with the subject :) I'd just have to say that I'm quite a SW fan as well :p

Mike.

Jen C
24-11-2002, 11:08 AM
> I'm an avid starwars fan, but I cant find anywhere
> that'll teach me Huttese (Jabba the Hutt....)!!!!

"Dolpee kikyuna!" - I am a friend!

"Ap-xmasi keepuna!" - Don't shoot! (The "X in Huttese is pronounced by making a wet, smacking noise with the lips, or like an aggressive kissing sound.)

"Mikiyuna! Pasta mo rulya! Do bata gee mwaa tusawa!" - Everybody, hands off your weapons and back up against the bar!

"Dopo mee gusha, peedunkey?" - Do you feel lucky, punk?

"Kickeeyuna mo Wooky doo tee puna puna!" - Don't anybody move or the Wookiee here will tie your legs into a taut-line hitch!

Unfortunately this repertoire may limit your call lenghts :D