PDA

View Full Version : speedcom+ modem disappeared

shaawing
21-11-2002, 09:06 PM
I installed a 56k PCI modem (conexant) for a friend into an old Deskpro 400 (P100) box. Worked ok, connected to the internet sweetaz. Gave PC back to friend. Got phone call from friend, "modem not connected or turned on". Got friend to look in device manager, modem not there anymore, Win98 not detecting modem after restart. Any ideas?

tweak\'e
21-11-2002, 09:28 PM
whats the bet its a win modem.
check the minimum cpu requirements. they are usually about 300mhz. a p100 with win98 and a winmodem is just begging for problems. go find a good old isa modem.

try reseating the modem. might have come alittle bit loose.

Rod ger
21-11-2002, 09:34 PM
Nothing concrete, but, as a Winmodem uses the CPU to duplicate functions of a "real" modem I would say a Pentium 100 is pretty underpowered to run one. Its probably sucking the life out of the system.
I think an ISA modem would be a better choice as the resources used would be a lot less.( although it does cost more)

godfather
21-11-2002, 09:37 PM
But trying to find an ISA slot hardware modem is the challenge.
Easier to buy an external serial modem, at least they still make them.

And don't fall for the ploy that the HAM series of PCI modems are hardware, because its only slightly true (or slightly false)?

USB modems are soft modems as well usually, with even more overhead.

JJJJJ
22-11-2002, 05:04 AM
ISA Modem????? They don't make them anymore. Or MB's with an ISA slot.
Win modems are plain rubbish. Sure they work sometimes and sometimes they are fast, BUT they are completely un=reliable.
I recently bought a new comp without an ISA slot and pensioned off my 4 year old US Robotics. I tried a win modembecause that was all that was available.Took about an hour to get working. Downloaded latest drivers. Worked sometimes.Not much good.
Bought a D=Link external modem. No drivers to load. It works off windows drivers. Perfect. Better than the old USR.
Win modems were a cheap thing for cheap computers. Now they are not even cheap.
Jack

Graham L
22-11-2002, 05:20 PM
You'll be better with an external modem, or an ISA internal. You could try trademe, or Computer Broker (http://www.computerbroker.co.nz/) for the internal one.

Rod ger
22-11-2002, 09:38 PM
<http://www.dynalink.com.au/products/plist_nz.htm> $194 a bit pricey (got mine for just over 1/2 that a few years ago).
Good modem though, and an older computer will have an ISA slot.