PDA

View Full Version : scanning to e-mail in original A4 format

hitime1
21-11-2002, 07:57 PM
I have a query that I hope some bright person can help me with. My parents have just hit the computer arena and among all their set-up is a BenQ scanner (all the system from Farmers, made by The PC Company). The problem is scanning an A4 sheet to attach to an e-mail brings forth an image that is 4 times the original size. How do I get it to copy 1:1? I believe you need to adjust the resolution but with this, I can't seem to do it.
I've had a similar thing with my own scanner and fiddling with things to try to resolve my parents' problem has seemed to fix it but I can't do the same on their system.

Mike
21-11-2002, 08:05 PM
I'm not too sure what software your using or the process you're going about scanning and attaching, but sometimes it's advisable to scan the page and then edit the file using a picture editor, and use the editor to set a specific picture size (dimension-wise, not file). I'm not sure if this can be done with Paint, but something like MS Photo Editor (comes with MS Office) or Paint Shop Pro can do this with ease. It'll probably even cut down the file size too :)

One thing you have to remember though is what looks like 1:1 on your screen may be completely different on someone elses screen - that'll all come down to screen size and resolution, and you can't do anything to fix that.

Mike.

godfather
21-11-2002, 08:12 PM
All you ever need to know...

Go to http://www.scantips.com/

This link was originally courtesy of Terry Porritt, and is most useful for understanding why.

Start at the "fundamentals" part on the page.

Basically however its because on screen each pixel in the scan becomes one pixel on the screen.

You will be scanning at 300 dpi, and displaying at about 75. = 4 x enlargement.

If you print it however it may be about right. 300 dpi is reasonable standard printer resolution.