PDA

View Full Version : ISP "Billing"

csinclair83
20-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Does anyone here pay their ISP/Telcom bills in "weekly" payments..if u get the same $$ every month....
FOR ADSL...that is..

Coz I enquired Paradise on their ADSL...10gig for $30..and they said I CANNOT have a weekly payment set up (4 even payments to add to $30 at the end of 28 day billing period)
no reason given....but i explained that i was a student, and prefer to pay things weekly instead of massive end of month bills...
They gave no reason? Should i be actually allowed to set this up even thou they dont "like it" or..is it up to them to decide if they should accept weekly payments or not??

Chris

-=JM=-
20-11-2002, 10:36 PM
It's up to them what they accept I guess. You could always just put a side the money each week into another account then pay at the end of the month.

sam m
21-11-2002, 06:29 AM
I'm not sure what they can do to stop that Chris.
My understanding of an AP is that you authorise the bank to pay xyz to a specific bank account with your details attached on a specific time, ie weekly, fortnightly etc. I can't see how they can stop an amount being credited to your ISP account as not everyone pays at the same time. I might be wrong but if that is your preferred method then I would do it. I would check with your bank for transaction fees however and if you have them for this scenario then I would use JM's advice and just authorise the bank to pay monthly to reduce fees.

sam m

Heather P
21-11-2002, 04:19 PM
For years we ran a separate account as a budget account. Added all the bills together for the year, divided it into a monthly amount (monthly payday) and transferred this amount to the Budget Account automatically as the money came in.

Not food - after all, you can live on mince and crackers if the money's tight - but everything that was a known amount - insurance, car registration, phone bill average, power bill average, mortgage, rates... Anything that could be set up as a direct debit was.

The current account could have been in "Flat Broke" mode - but the budget was untouchable.

If you are still a student then you can probably avoid bank fees but even with fees it still works brilliantly - and you get the interest on the available balance.

Start the habit whilst young with only a few bills and the habit will pay off in the long term.

Graham L
21-11-2002, 04:30 PM
"They gave no reason". Of course their accounts are done by a computer. Computers make life easy for managers and accountants. "The computer made an error". "We can't do that because the computer won't let us". "I'm paid to be an arrogant self-important idiot ... I don't need to care about customers".

I would say that if the bank has transferred money to them, then you (and the bank) have a record of that. The ISP's computer will have a record of that. You have paid.

I don't think that an ISP can stop you. :D