PDA

View Full Version : CISCO CNAP

Erin Salmon
20-11-2002, 09:03 PM
Hi Guys,

Some of you here will surely have taken this course somewhere sometime...

I'm considering taking it next year (7th form). This would mean I need to finish it somewhere else. Where in NZ can I take it? I'm probably going to Otago, but I don't believe they offer it there...

Also, what kind of jobs does it lead to? Do you think it's worth taking, or should I turn my attention elsewhere? Is it useful/enjoyable?

What else should I know about it?

Cheers,

Erin

robo
20-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Hi Erin, long time no hear.

I can't speak with much experience on this one, but I have to say I am starting to develop a distinct nervousness about any vendor-specific qualification. These things change really quickly, and if you are planning to go to Uni it could be out of favour or you may never find a job that needs it.

Build more general IT skills, I say.

robo.

-=JM=-
20-11-2002, 10:21 PM
Well I've just done semester one of the CCNA (IIRC) for free (w00t!).

I'd really like to finish it off at some stage. I learnt a hang of a lot about networking protocols, OSI layers, TCP/IP layers and the like. Highly recommended. Didn't seem to be very cisco related either.

I think you'll find that the local polytech down there will be able to do it, I know that that Canterbury one can. You might find that the Uni can do it as well.

Erin Salmon
20-11-2002, 11:53 PM
Hi,

Yeah, I'd be able to get the first year free... I could get the second free if I stayed in Nelson, but I'd rather head off to Uni, and do it part time...

:)

Erin

Graham L
21-11-2002, 04:19 PM
It certainly won't damage your brain. :D Cisco are probably still the top router manufacturer (despite their management). What they teach you about TCP/IP and networks will be general ... anything to to with setting up their equipment (or software on other manufacturers' hardware) will probably be useful because there are so many Cisco routers around. (I've got about 5 and that's a home system :D).

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2002, 04:23 PM
> (I've got about 5 and that's a home system :D).

... enthusiast...

-=JM=-
22-11-2002, 01:03 AM
Yeah the info on TCP/IP was absolutely nothing to do with Cisco what so ever. It was just all good solid information. The online material is really good and the tests are nice (multiguess).

Hmmmm 5 Cisco routers for a home system, that would be nice. Someone I know has ~100 ports in switches for his home network, but he does run L3 (http://www.l3.net.nz) lan when he gets the chance so he has got some justification.

Cisco would have to be the best, well secondbest, or equal with ATI.