PDA

View Full Version : How do I read web pages off- line

Iris
20-11-2002, 07:14 PM
Using Windows 98SE

My query is:

I have two or three web pages that I want to read off-line.

I know I can add them to My Favourites and tick "make available off-line" However that only seems to work with the home page, not all the other pages that go with it.
Can anyone suggest what I can do as there is a lot of reading with these and I don't want to have to be tying up the telephone while I work my way through the web sites. ?:| ?:|

Many thanks

Iris

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2002, 07:46 PM
In IE 6, click File - Save As
You may need to upgrade, if you have IE 4.0 (Win98 Standard) to at least IE 5, but pref 6 (Available off last months cover disc).

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Iris
20-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Thanks for reply Chilling Silence. You say "In IE 6, click File - Save As"

I'm using IE 6

When I go to "Save As" a box comes up with

File Name and then

Save as Type "Web page - complete"

is this what I choose as I notice there are three other choices

Thanks again

Iris

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2002, 08:03 PM
Yup, Goto Savfe as, and then is prolly best to leave the name as is, unless its really un-descriptive. It should say Downloading..... Download Complete. Click okay and you're set, ready for viewing offline!

Hope that helps

Chilling_Silence

Susan B
20-11-2002, 08:23 PM
>> Save as Type "Web page - complete"
>>is this what I choose as I notice there are three other choices

Iris, the option "Web page - complete" means that all the graphics will be saved along with the page itself. A folder will be created containing all the graphics for each page that you save as well as a file for the page itself. When you've finished with the page you saved you will need to delete the folder as well as the .html file.

If you choose "Web page HTML only" you will get just the page minus all the graphics - a much slimmer version of the Complete option.

The "text" option will be just that - text. I haven't tried the other option so you'll have to try that one yourself and find out. ;-)

In a nutshell, if you want to save the pictures (and it's surprising how many there are on a webpage) choose the Complete option, otherwise go for the HTML only. Just experiment to see what you prefer. :-)

Iris
20-11-2002, 08:26 PM
?:|, Not anymore thanks to you, Chilling Silence.

All done. Now I have a lot of reading ahead of me.

Thanks once again.

Iris

Iris
20-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Thank you for that information too Susan B.

Yet a whole heap more I have learned.

:^O :^O

Iris

Gill
21-11-2002, 07:32 PM
Quite often I have pages I want to read off this forum but not stay on line for ages......so I right click each interesting topic then select "Open link in a new window"
Jump back to the page of topics and scroll down for the next interesting one etc.
Then I can go off line and read the replies etc at my leisure....don't you hate it when someone rings the minute you disconnect!!

Iris
21-11-2002, 08:32 PM
Thanks Gill. That's something new for me. Have tried it out already.

Iris

:D

Trev0
21-11-2002, 08:58 PM
better yet, get multibrowser and just drag and drop, into little screens on the side (you'll see when they're ready to read) and carry on reading which-ever page you like!
I think crazybrowser is similar also..