PDA

View Full Version : Cannot create shortcuts....

Sanco
20-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Just recently, when I need to create a shortcut to the desktop by right-clicking the icon and select; Send to desktop-create shortcut........nothing happens, I mean not shortcuts are created!!!! What's going on? I used to be able to do so. Can you help with this?
Thanx.

Susan B
20-11-2002, 05:51 PM
What version of Windows are you using? Can you remember doing anything recently that might have upset things?

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2002, 06:00 PM
Now that's actually quite interesting, coz in Win2K Pro (What Im using) the file is 0KB Big - Nothing, Nothing when opened in notepad. Dunno how that works.

Sanco
20-11-2002, 06:16 PM
Hi Susan. My OS is ME, And yes I have used an app to clean the registry recently, although I don't know whether these two things are connected at all (alas I suspect they might be). What I have noticed is that when I choose the " create shortcut", the word has now a .desklink beside that I can't say I have noticed before. I hope that will be of help.
Thanks for your help Susan.

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2002, 07:49 PM
When checking the properties of my File in Win2K, it says its a DeskLink file... That's where that came from. But however the actual file has no extension!

Susan B
20-11-2002, 08:13 PM
It sounds very much like your registry cleaner has been a bit over zealous. It should have an option to restore what it has done if you want to try that, otherwise you could try the registry's own self-repair. To do this, go to the FAQs (link top right of this page) to FAQ #6 and scroll down to 6. Registry Cleaners.

Follow the instructions for running the Windows Registry self repair. You may need to use/make and use a boot disk since you have Win ME - instructions are at the bottom of the FAQ in 7. Making a Start-Up disk.

Hopefully that is all you will need to do. Let us know how you get on.

Sanco
22-11-2002, 06:15 PM
Thank you, e grazie mille!!!!
It has been a fair bit of work making a startup disk and restoring the registry through DOS, but it's been a great experience for a computer illiterate as I am! It worked. So thank you again Susan, and everyone else that donate their time on this site to help people like me. This is a great Kiwi site and a source of great knowledge. Keep it up for many years to come, for no doubt I will need your help again!!!!!
Thanks again, ciao.

Susan B
22-11-2002, 08:34 PM
I'm really pleased at your success, well done. Thanks for letting me know the results. :-)