PDA

View Full Version : Paradise Broadband Internet

Steve Askew
20-11-2002, 05:08 PM
We are looking at getting Paradise Broadband Internet & I wondered if anyone out there can tell me if it is compulsory to rent paradise's cable modem ?
In the long run a modem would pay itself off reasonably quick at $17 per month.

Cheers Steve

floppy
20-11-2002, 05:20 PM
I think it is only compulsory if you are intending to use the City Link service. Please note, paradise net cable is available to people living in cable connectable areas in Wellington and Christchurch. Bummer if your in Auckland!

Clueless
20-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Unless they changed the rules the cable modem itself is provided by telstra/paradise as part of the deal.... and it's still slightly cheaper as a rule than the compitition... there is no need to buy your own!

BTW.. cable is great... do you have any idea how many people i've annoyed by saying that?

.Clueless

Steve Askew
20-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Telstra clear came around on friday finally offering their Phone ,TV & internet . (3 years after they put a pamphlet in our mailbox saying "we will be in your area in the next 6-8 weeks. LOL)

Anyway we are looking at getting phone ,tv & 128k Broadband internet,& I notice there is a charge of $17 for the rental of the modem.
I thought this $17 would be better spent owning a modem rather than renting one.

cheers Steve

Clueless
20-11-2002, 05:48 PM
I just had a closer look at my bill, and it appears that "cable modem rental" is now part of the package... i must find out if there is anyway around this so i can pay less than i have been!

on phone now....
The help desk eventually flatly says: " no you must use thier cable modem"

O well worth a try wasn't it

.Clueless

Steve Askew
20-11-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks Clueless, I just wondered as in their booklet it says 128k broadband is $49.95 total per month & at the bottom of the page it says cable modem rental $17.00 additional per month.

It almost sounds optional doesn't it?

cheers Steve

Graham L
20-11-2002, 06:03 PM
That looks to be how it is. Actrix do the same, it seems. I can see a point to it ... I'm sure they have enough trouble with people saying "My system doesn't work. What do I do" ... "Is the power turned on?" ... Imagine the fun if people could pick their own: "My modem is supposed to give me 2 GB/sec download speed. Why doesn't it work?"

Paradise have an FAQ , and I was amused by a couple of the answers. (roughly, from memory) "Can I flash the modem to increase my speed?" "No, these modems are controlled from our end ...". "There are programmes on the Internet to change my PCs settings to increase my speed. Do they work?" "No ... they manage to change the highspeed connection to a slow connection. Macintosh and Unix don't seem to have these helpful things."

Clueless
20-11-2002, 06:22 PM
In the "node " i am on there was some trouble with signal ingress.. someone had some dodgy peice of **** connected onto the cable, and it was apparantly effecting the entire node (i noticed nothing maybe it effected people with cable TV) It took telstra 3 days of spicing the grid apaprt for quick 1 minute tests, and 1 minute disconnections while that happened.... a pain for all concerned... i got cut off a minute 4 times in one day!

I would expect this would be more common if we were allowed to connect our own gear to the cable, infact i could see node failures becoming common... not good. So although it was worth checking i am glad that only "approved" equipment may be connected to the system.

.Clueless

Steve Askew
20-11-2002, 07:05 PM
Yeah perhaps thats why Jetstream seems to have a lot of trouble,everyone using their own modems. :-)

Cheers Steve

DangerousDave
20-11-2002, 10:10 PM
ARGH i want cheap broadband like that, that is pathetic, i hate being an aucklander now ARGH ARGH ARGH stupid john banks denied us jafas of cable and that really annoyed me, really really, now i have to go to tele-monopoly for jetstream!!!!

- David