PDA

View Full Version : Spontanious Rebooting

sjbryce
20-11-2002, 04:30 PM
Ok heres the background. Computer was working fine, took the box up to my mates, plugged in his monitor and all of a suddent, the minute it gets into the operating system, ie Windows XP loads all the icons, it reboots.... If i go in on safe mode its fine...waht cvould have done this, and what can i do to help it?

gibler
20-11-2002, 04:43 PM
The rebooting is due to Windows XP encountering a blue screen of death (BSOD). They have a default setting that will cause the machine to automatically reboot rather that show the lovely blue screen and halt.

Are you sure the monitor isn't the only thing that has changed? It isn't plugged into a network for example ?

sjbryce
21-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Okay, so lets asume this is the problem...how do i fix ity, it reboots everytime i get into windows.

Second question, what could have caused it, it was working fine at my place, carried it up the road and bang, it stopped working, how is it so?

godfather
21-11-2002, 06:57 PM
PCs have always been a bit sensitive to moving, in that any minute flexing of the case has the result of trying to swivel the cards out of the motherboard sockets.

I first encountered it in the 1980's and it hasnt gone away.
This is why the some makers used hot glue to and string to restrain the cards. Tower cases are a bit less prone to it than desktop ones.

Open it up and reseat everything would be a good start?