PDA

View Full Version : Internet Disconnection

aries1973
20-11-2002, 02:05 PM
I have an HP Pavilion computer and a DSE adsl modem and since installing XP Pro I have been getting disconnected from the internet. It never happens when I am using the computer, only seems to happen when I go to bed or work. Is there a setting somewhere that tells my comp to disconnect when idle?, is it time to buy a new modem?. or should I just not go to bed or work :)

Graham L
20-11-2002, 02:43 PM
This could be protecting you. If your computer is online with you not there for 16+ hours a day, you are giving lots of scope to anyone who wants to use your address for sending out mass mails, or other naughty things. You're giving them lots of time to break into your system. :D

Susan B
20-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Graham is right, but if you don't care about that try looking in Internet Explorer's Tools>Options>Connections>(click on your account)>Settings>Advanced and see if there are any ticks in the boxes for disconnecting. Click OK all the way out.

I leave my email client (Outlook Express) running at the same time as Internet Explorer with it set to check for new mail every minute. That keeps the line busy instead of being thrown off - usually. :-)

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Or you could get Cable?!