PDA

View Full Version : IMPORT EXPORT

olldaddy76
20-11-2002, 11:57 AM
The meaning seem obvious but how do I use and with what Software..Elementary reply please.
Wanting to know more.

tweak\'e
20-11-2002, 12:09 PM
it would be a good idea to explain what you are trying to do. import is importing data into a program and export is exporting data out to a file.

olldaddy76
20-11-2002, 02:28 PM
It was more to know what I could do........What sort of information..text...software..graphic? Under what circumstances would would I need to do this....Sorry to be so ignorant but if I never ask I WILL NEVER KNOW..

Graham L
20-11-2002, 02:38 PM
In computing this refers to data. If you are using a spreadsheet, you can export the contents, in various formats. You would do this so the data could be imported to a different spreadsheet programme. The same with databases. Or address books. There are conventions such as "comma delimited" which make the data movable between totally incompatible programmes. The data are almost always moved as "text", because there are many incompatible internal representations of numbers.

Programmes, graphics would mostly be imported or exported in the commercial sense ... "from one country to another" :D

Susan B
20-11-2002, 04:56 PM
You won't really need to trouble yourself about Imports and Exports. Data may be imported and exported between programs, eg pasting a picture into a word processing document or something like that, but we don't usually call it importing and exporting.

Most users refer to importing and exporting when they are transferring data from one program to another. An example might be having an Address Book with your contacts in it that you want to make available in a new email program that you might have just got. You would Import the Address Book contacts into the new program in order to use it in there.

Next time you come across something that you think is importing or exporting and you're not sure how to go about it, post a message on this forum and you'll get plenty of help. :-)