PDA

View Full Version : Time to say goodbye to Opera 7...

SoniKalien
20-11-2002, 08:44 AM
I think I have tested Opera 7 Beta enough now, and have found a few bugs, some critical some annoyances.

Importing bookmarks can be difficult for some, and the end result may give you lots of them.

The new Email client still needs work. I'm not sure if I sent mail or not. If I did, I sent it about 15 times (oops!)

Also, on a certain website, any text in a CGI text form box get's lost on it's way up. Yep, I been posting blank replies on another board.

I also miss the clock at the top... but the UI isn't finished yet.

Definately looking forward to the final release..

SiK

Clueless
20-11-2002, 08:53 AM
On no account should opera 7 be used by those who visit Liams chat room (http://www.chatf1.net.nz) as it loads but then fails to refresh, so the chat is visible for about 3 seconds, and then wammo white main frame.... not entirely useful!

Me thinks this was a premature release...
Me also thinks that those who try it now are the guinie pigs, as it wants to "act as a server" when ever it is "shutdown"... atleast that is what ZA tells me. mmmm.
Atleast it doesn't overwrite the previous version, so i still have my opera 6.5 to fall back on.

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2002, 10:09 AM
I'm a Phoenix convert through and through. I love it, nice clean GUI, and it hasnt crashed on me yet or shown anything incorrectly/done something wrong.
The only thing that it has done possibly as should is in liam's room, new posts are up the top compared to down the bottom, but I have spent enough time in there since friday (When I became a convert) to assess it fully!
Go Phoenix:
http://komodo.mozilla.org/pub/phoenix/nightly/latest-trunk/
for the latest nightly build.
I love the easy tab interface.
Anybody else using it or tried it?

Smurf
20-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Yep, found this beta version of Opera pretty buggy particularly with Bookmarks.
Initially had problems entering a bookmark, then clicking on Bookmarks gave no response ie I was unable to open them. Also had several, "You have performed an illegal action...." and the browser crashed. One good feature however is that when it does crash and you reopen you have the choice to resume browsing where you left off. I have reverted to 6.05 and will wait until the final release before going back. A further disappointment, unlike 6.05 when downloading, Opera 7 didn't show a Transfer box and the only way that you could keep track of the download progress was to watch the two computer green lights on the system tray.

SoniKalien
20-11-2002, 11:28 AM
OPera 7 Beta is an early release. It's been released basically to test the framework (and the new rendering engine) mainly. And there it has succeeded.

The makers have conceded that it is not entirely finished.

BTW transfers are now in the hotlist instead of a new window. :D

-=JM=-
20-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Yeah I really like Phoenix as well, just needs a function to reopen a tab that I accidentally closed then it would be almost perfect.

As for liams room i've never successfully been in there with out IE. Just then it told me I had a banned word in my name using phoenix.

Clueless
20-11-2002, 12:07 PM
Perhaps Liams Rudy word filter is a bit too vigerous..
Mind you i have no idea what the "banned word" is.....

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Well, I'm in there now and its working fine, Its just that the chat comes up the top line now for new entries...
Did the chat have a color makeover too, coz the background for the main chat room is now black and a puplish color!

Clueless
20-11-2002, 12:11 PM
i just get black and grey.... (using OP6.5)

How come you get purple?
You are truly blessed!

.Clueless

Chilling_Silence
20-11-2002, 12:28 PM
> How come you get purple?
> You are truly blessed!

That's what the parents say when my younger sibblings wont eat their dinner :p

summertime
21-11-2002, 09:03 AM
Uninstalled Opera 7 and downloaded Phoenix from recommended site ...............having big problems. Phoenix caused 27 errors in my registry. Win Doctor fixed all but one relating to Active X invalid entry in the registry. See posting under Active X. I am running Windows 98 SE. Just thought I would mention this to save anyone else having this problem.