PDA

View Full Version : Linux and winmodem

Colin
20-11-2002, 08:11 AM
I have purchased a laptop and put RH 8.0 on as my os however the modem is a winmodem.Do i need to do anything internally in order to use an external modem?Could i get an internal modem?is the software available yet to put in so i could use what i have.Every ehere i have loooked so far says it is being developed.

roofus
20-11-2002, 09:17 AM
A common question. Search this site for info on linux and winmodems, and you should find the info you are looking for.
its not worth me regurgitating it

segfault
20-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Can you please run "lspci" for me (All lower case). You may need to do it as root but it will tell you which kind of modem you have. Then I can tell you which drivers to get.

Colin
20-11-2002, 09:52 AM
By this site do you mean PressF1 or did you forget the URL?

roofus
20-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Yea Pressf1, there is an option at the top of the main page

Graham L
20-11-2002, 12:36 PM
If you have found a reference to the modem you have, and a module "is being developed", that's what is happening. :D It might not take long -- (often the stimulus to development is that someone has bought a computer with that sort of modem and wants it to work ... They have an incentive ;-)) The usual holdup is an uncooperative manufacturer... it's hard to write the software without hardware information, and some manufacturers have wanted to keep their "secrets". But most manufacturers have realised that even if the Linux market is not dominant, it is still worthwhile.

To use an external modem, all you need is a serial port. Have a browse of the HOWTO documents which you have (on your CDs --- or on your HD, now).

The www.linmodems.org/ site will have the most uptodate information, about internal modems.

yang11
20-11-2002, 12:45 PM
if the modem is based lucent, u got better chance.
www.linmodems.org

just in case the driver is not out yet for RH8. u need recompile the tar driver, and force it.

insmod -f lt-serial.o
insmod -f lt-modem.o