PDA

View Full Version : Pc Wont Post

Pete O\'Neil
19-11-2002, 02:56 PM
hey

Was building a internet router/file server out of an old P1 133. It had some SD-RAM slots so picked up 2x256mb stick cheap, stuck them in my Athlon 1ghz, Soltek SL-75KAV VIA KT133, 256Mb SD-RAM, Geforce 4 Ti 4200 system so it now had 768mb SD-RAM. When i eventually got round to building the router i took the original 256 out of the Athlon and stuck it in another PC which had 128 which was then placed in the router. The athlon now had 512, router 128 and the other PC 256. The router and the other PC booted fine and had no problems. But when i turned on the Athlon now with 512mb RAM (2x256 single sided DIMMS) it wouldn't post. The PC seems to be running but nothing shows up on the monitor. So it tryed another monitor but nothin happened, thinking it was the Vid card i took out the Geforce 4 Ti4200 and tryed a PCI S3 Verge, still no luck. Then tryed the PCI card in different PCI slots and still nothing happened. I tryed different combos of ram, singled side and double sided combos of differnet sizes. Still nothing worked. I stuck them all back together leaving the Athlon with 2x256mb stick tryed one last time to see if it would work and still nothing. Does anyone out there have any idea what might be wrong

Chilling_Silence
19-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Have you tried it in the same combo as before, with 768MB RAM?

Graham L
19-11-2002, 04:13 PM
Is the memory in the failing computer in the correct slots? You took out "the original 256". That would have been in the first slot. If you have nothing in the first memory slot, that might "confuse" the system. ;-)

Graham L
19-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Is the memory in the failing computer in the correct slots? You took out "the original 256". That would have been in the first slot. If you have nothing in the first memory slot, that might "confuse" the system. ;-)

Pete O\'Neil
19-11-2002, 05:14 PM
I have tryed the original 768 combo it didn't work. The RAM is in the right slots, that was one of my first thoughts too. I've had the whole thing in peices this arvo on my bench and still no luck. But i do now know its not booting to windows, because i have an optical mouse and when it reaches win2k boot loader the light comes on, i left it on for 10min and the light didn't come on. So far i have eliminated the harddrive, CD-ROM's, RAM, Vid Card. I'm thinking its either the processor or mobo. If the processor was shot do you think it would post?

Marty2001
19-11-2002, 05:30 PM
Very weird
I doubt that the processor has a problem
As there are no beep codes - that is also weird
If you start it with no RAM installed , do you get the no memory beep codes?
Have you tried just one RAM stick in a memory slot - test - reboot - try in next slot ?

Pete O\'Neil
19-11-2002, 05:38 PM
I've tryed with no RAM, no beems. I've tryed a single stick of RAM in the first 2 slots and still no beems. I'm getting no beems at all. I've tryed with just the VId Card, RAM, mObo, and CPU, still no post and no beem codes.

roofus
19-11-2002, 08:02 PM
I had this problem once before, but i jsut resolved it by pulling out the fault ram that was causing it.

Are you sure that the ram is seated correctly?
My theory is that there is some sorta IRQ conflict with the monitor, hence its not coming up and hence why the bios doesn't beep.
But ahh i don't know.

try find a digital monitor. they usually say (no connection) on the screen when the screen is actually not been feed any information

Pete O\'Neil
21-11-2002, 10:50 AM
It works, it works! :) turns out nothings broken just that Soltek motherboards can be a bit problematic. The guy at the shop just switch the jumpers from auto to 133(fsb) then back again and it posted. Now its back to it best. but now it detected some mysterious audio device. Think i've got all my drivers installed ow well off to investigate.