PDA

View Full Version : AGP speeds? does it make a difference?

fergie
18-11-2002, 06:23 PM
Hi,
I'm curruntely in the market for a graphics card.
I'm only looking for a budget one (just basic word processing, internet, and light games - a little quake, AoE etc)
One thing where i'm stuck, is the speed of the AGP port (i think)
i no the M/B supports 2x agp, is this the speed the data is transfered around teh pc (or along those lines)
now, if i'm buying a 4x agp card - will it only run a 2x (like RAM)?
and, does the 4x make much improvement over the 2x (or 1x?)
and what about the new 8x? will these improve the quality of gaming (just curious)
thanks in advance

roofus
18-11-2002, 06:37 PM
Im no expert in the field of AGP. But i do know that the differnce between 4x and 8x. is negligable. Because the card does so much of the operations and stuff these days it doesn't need to send much elsewhere. hence 8x while double the speed of 4x (BUS) doesn't increase overall performance.
in saying that you will get more performance rewards from moving to 2x - 4x. It's a a bit of a diminishing ratios thing.

Yes as i kinda mentinoed the 2x, 4x, is the speed it sends around the computer (BUS speed).
For playing AOE and quake 1 and 2, then a 2x is fine but 4x will allow you to up the resolution in quake.

Falcdragon
18-11-2002, 08:29 PM
It will make no noticable difference with any current computer game. Agp 2x will do though probably most cards now support 4x.

tweak\'e
18-11-2002, 09:30 PM
not many games can make full use of even the 2x bus. you won't notice the difference with a 4x in most games.