PDA

View Full Version : anti virus

backstage
17-11-2002, 01:26 PM
Hello Friends,
Hope you don't mind me calling you friends?
All the advice i have received has been so useful and helpful and bang on.
Can you tell me which Anti virus programme in your opinion is the best.
I have been using Macfee which i find ok, but sometimes very convoluted and mercenary. I have been advised by xtra to download pc-lin which i have done and uninstalled Macfee. There was some suspision I that i had the virus klez-h. I scanned with both programmes and did not. Everything was clean Not a sign!
I have windows me and outlook express. Norton has a good reputation?
Kind reagards

mark c
17-11-2002, 01:52 PM
When we got this comp out-of-the-box 18 months ago we got big solid reputable Norton AV on it for $140 I think it was. Six months ago it expired and after checking it out here we downloaded and intstalled AVG by grisoft. Has been working fine since and it is free.

Mind you we are light users and v. careful about attachments etc.

Try running AVG through PressF1 search and read all about it.

Mark :D c

Peter H
17-11-2002, 03:14 PM
I would go for AVG. Norton can cause problems I gather from some forums.
Bye

Kiwitas
17-11-2002, 05:00 PM
Hi backstage,

Norton as you say does have a good reputation,but it costs!

It also takes a few more of your resourses than most of the others!

AVG is of course free but it also has a good reputation and would reccommend it and if you are a light user,why buy protection?

I am trialling Avast32 at the moment(another free one) and haven't had any problems.
One drawback with Avast is that it can only be updated manually and at the moment updates are available every other day.

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Mike
17-11-2002, 06:25 PM
backstage,

I use Norton Antivirus, and now that I've started using them, I probably wouldn't switch to anything else. If you are a moderate to heavy user I'd recommend NAV.

If however you're a lighter user, your computer is short on resources, or you can't really afford it, AVG is a very reliable antivirus program.

NAV doesn't seem to use much in system resources, except for the 1-2mb of RAM it needs to stay loaded - CPU load is minimal, and would only be noticed in a old machine.

After trialling some McAfee software earlier this year I wouldn't recommend any of their software :)

Mike.

Kahawai_Chaser
17-11-2002, 06:47 PM
Hi...

Started with the free Avast32... You can set up custom folder scans (scans and integrity checks) and there are plenty of scan type options to use when switching to advanced interface (took a wee while to learn though). It is quite a well nested program of sub folder setups similar to windows explorer...though some english instructions and terms are a bit awkward to comprehend. Also has a scanner when your screensaver is active...and the revolving blue light is reassuring...
But mainly use free AVG - looks nice and is very simple to use...though not really customizable if you want it to be...

bk T
17-11-2002, 09:07 PM
I have been using Norton for many, many years now and it is so far so good. No problems at all with Win95/98 and Win2K.

Cheers

Steve Askew
18-11-2002, 06:31 AM
I use AVG & find it works well on my system, 633mhz & XP pro,Nortons 2002 made my pc run like an old morris minor with the choke stuck on :-(
& the best thing about AVG is the price:-)
You can also use the free online scan at www.antivirus.com
which is quite useful sometimes as some of those sneaky virus's out there are able to disable your antivirus programs.

cheers Steve

Pauline
18-11-2002, 07:26 AM
Hi,
We use Norton's 2002. We have Win Me too. Norton's has never let any nasties through so when our sub was due earlier this month we decided to renew it, cost was $14.95 US Dollars, although I did download AVG but didn't install it. With Norton's I unchecked 'scan outgoing email' as it took ages to send mail that way & sometimes I would lose my connection, but make sure you have 'scan incoming mail' checked as that's how most viruses get to you.
Pauline.

roofus
18-11-2002, 07:39 AM
> backstage,
>
> I use Norton Antivirus, and now that I've started
> using them, I probably wouldn't switch to anything
> else. If you are a moderate to heavy user I'd
> recommend NAV.
>
> If however you're a lighter user, your computer is
> short on resources, or you can't really afford it,
> AVG is a very reliable antivirus program.
>
> NAV doesn't seem to use much in system resources,
> except for the 1-2mb of RAM it needs to stay loaded -
> CPU load is minimal, and would only be noticed in a
> old machine.
>
> After trialling some McAfee software earlier this
> year I wouldn't recommend any of their software :)
>
> Mike.

I would agree with Mike on his comments. Althought NAV does actually use more than 1-2Mb of RAM ( You forgot to include all the other little threads NAV loads up to help it run) SO if you only have 128MB it can be a bit of a hog.
I received NAV free from being so helpful on this forum :-) So before that i used PC cillin, as the orginal poster has. This is developed by Trend Micro which are the leaders in anti-virus software for corporations. I found it to be an excellent programme, and very fast at scanning, although i thought it was slow to load at startup. PC cillin also comes bundled with a firewall if you wanted to use it.
What ever anti-virus u have it should be able to pick up the major ones like Klez, the more expensive ones tend to do a bit more snooping to try and find viruses. You just have to weigh up the cost benefit analysis of this. Personaly i think the costs outweigh the benefits, but it depends on each persons situation.

Mike
18-11-2002, 07:10 PM
>>> Althought NAV does actually use more than 1-2Mb of RAM ( You
>>> forgot to include all the other little threads NAV loads up to help it run)

I actually included them, but took off a little to compensate for all the other Norton software I have running :) all-up it looks to be around 4-6mb that I can find :D

Mike.

Mike
18-11-2002, 07:11 PM
>>> With Norton's I unchecked 'scan outgoing email' as it took ages to
>>> send mail that way & sometimes I would lose my connection

This seems to be fixed with NAV 2003 - I haven't had any problems with it so far, but I've only had it installed since Friday :)

Mike.

Heather P
18-11-2002, 08:16 PM
Lots of people recommend AVG - but when you want to find out about a virus/hoax/joke where do they send you? The symantec site.

It seems to me that in order for all this free and excellent information to continue they need subscribers. If everyone switched to the free services it will cease.

I also cannot see how free services - such as AVG - can last indefinitely. The creator still needs to feed the cat.

I've used Norton for years and will continue to do so.

godfather
18-11-2002, 08:19 PM
Not everyone opts for the free version...Today I installed a 5 seat version of AVG for a small business. With Network Administration Tools it cost $130 US, still reasonably priced for 5 PC's, and certainly seems a well mannered program.