PDA

View Full Version : PC Company

the highlander
17-11-2002, 01:25 AM
Bought some gear at the PC company clearance sale in Hamilton on October 6th (Dumb move, should have known better). Two hardrives and a video card turned out to be duds. Returned them 4 days later and still yet to recieve replacements or refund despite many visits/phone calls (I live 80 km away from store). I've recieved repeated assurances/promises they would be cutting a cheque for me by the 'end of the week for the last 3 weeks. If I was to give someone who asked an objective view of the customer service and backup of the PC company, I would have to rank it right up there with 'WEE JOCK POO PONG McPLOPS COWBOY COMPUTER STORE' dealing out of a caravan at a bootsale in an Manakau carpark. Anybody else out there having similar problems with them ?
If I remember correctly this was the sort of thing that happened in the nineties when PC direct and the other dodgy computer retailers started to go under.

Mike
17-11-2002, 08:23 AM
>>> Anybody else out there having similar problems with them ?

Most probably :)

Go in there and tell them you are not leaving until they give you the cheque they promised you. Stand up to them - remind them of a word called theft.

>>> in the nineties when PC direct and the other dodgy computer
>>> retailers started to go under

Ummm... since when did PC Direct go under? and ummm... since when were they dodgy???

Mike.

robo
17-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Perhaps you just haven't spoken to the right person.

As Mike can attest, not every computer company can please all the people all the time. My wife is ready to do battle with the ASB over two lots of $2 in fees that they can't seem to credit against our children's account. Took 45 minutes in the bank (not counting the time in the queue) and they still didn't fix it. $4 isn't much, but there is a principle. I am sure she shall get the credit in the end, but many companies seem to think the best way around problems is to make solving them too difficult (not sure if this is official policy or just something that has rubbed off from the government).

You don't need to get nasty, just take your time and be insistent. You'll get there.
robo.

Danger
17-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Sounds like your typical old NZ customer service to me! Only places that provide good service in my experience are The Wharehouse and DSE. I bought a DVD from DSE a few months back and when I got home realised I had no receipt. Rang them the next day and asked them to post me one (not expecting much hope as I had paid cash and wondered if the salesman had just pocketed it :() and lo and behold the very next day not only did I receive a receipt in the mail but $20.00 cash refund. :)

the highlander
17-11-2002, 11:03 AM
In normal circumstances I wouldn't leave the premises without a check but it is not a normal business i am dealing with.
Quote from sales person at Hamilton Office "We dont carry cash and we can't cut cheques, this is done by head office."

As much as I would like to spend hours waiting in a clinical, dust free showroom the size of a warehouse perusing the seven computers they have on display plus cracking up in hysterics over the outrageously priced but ever so carefully presented periphials, for a non existent cheque to appear, I really don't have the time to waste.

Anyway I think theft is to strong a term I simply believe that this outfit is run by a bunch of paper pushers who couldn't locate there backsides with both hands and a pack of bloodhounds.

By the way humble apologies to PC Direct if they are still in operation. My mistake.

but
What was the big name NZ Company that went under in the late 90's ? I remember they had large flashy showrooms.

Babe Ruth
17-11-2002, 11:49 AM
Highlander, Re the computer company ... you may have been thinking of PC General. The PCDirect company was bought by Gateway 2000 (now Gateway) which has also since pulled out of NZ.

Babe.

robo
17-11-2002, 12:33 PM
It's not the company mostly, if you worked in retail for sod all, you wouldn't give a rat's ass about the customer. Sure, some processes are bizarre, but mostly the Companies aren't deliberately institutionalising bad service. I think we have an obligation to ensure that this doesn't happen, by being a pain in the ass when things go wrong.

Reminds me, have to ring company about weird bread we bought a while back, I stuck it in the freezer to preserve the evidence.

robo.

Mike
17-11-2002, 12:59 PM
>>> Anyway I think theft is to strong a term

I only suggested that as something to mention as if they owe you money and aren't giving it to you, then legally that can be considered as theft.

Mike.

andy
17-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Highlander,
Don't go to their showroom - go to their "head Office" (their factory). It's on the SH1 bypass (Kahikatea Drive) just about opposite the new Gallagher glass tower. Do your sit in there - you should get what your after!

Baldy
17-11-2002, 03:00 PM
> It's not the company mostly, if you worked in retail
> for sod all, you wouldn't give a rat's ass about the
> customer.

You must be out of touch Robo. Most people who work in retail work for sod all.

BALDY:-)

Mike
17-11-2002, 07:17 PM
>>> You must be out of touch Robo. Most people who work in retail work for sod all.

You must also be out of touch, Baldy... ALL people who work in retail work for sod all. :p

Mike. :D

Terry Porritt
17-11-2002, 07:46 PM
Not all people Mike, not if your name is Stephen Tyndall :)

Mike
17-11-2002, 08:41 PM
>>> Not all people Mike, not if your name is Stephen Tyndall :)

He doesn't work in retail... he owns retail :)

Mike.

-=JM=-
17-11-2002, 09:24 PM
he does work in retail as well.

Depends on what you're selling I suppose. If you're selling high end cars it's a bit different to being a checkout chic

spot the checkout chic, well supposedly "Customer Service" but it doesn't sound as bad.