PDA

View Full Version : 4 different topics here :-)

csinclair83
16-11-2002, 09:14 PM
Hey!
I have a few quessies here...decided to put them all in 1 thread instead of 4 different ones :-)

1:
As ya all (most of ya) know I'm deaf and all :) I was just wondering, since i was using windows media player today, checking if a cd was working, and had to get my brother to check by listening to it...And that brought me to wonder if Windows Media Player can have subtitles....like with the "graphics" they have in the screen on it, and bring subtitles as the song goes on...Is that ever possible? If not..is there any programs around that has music playing with subtitles?

2:
As i downloaded quite a few files from kazza...I've extracted them in its own folders, or in temps....but sometimes without thinking i extract them directly to the downloads folder (not the shared folder as i move downloaded file into a different folder "downloads") and now i want to reformat my computer, and dont want to lose all the files i've downloaded...and I DONT know which files to keep and which not to keep...as theres like "application" files and some "LIB files" and some system files..dll...and so on..
I can send some "screen shots" of the folder to you if u wanna see what i have, and actually tell me specifically what i can write to the cd, and what is not needed as it'd be in the application file or the winzip file..

3: As i mentioned i wanna reformat my computer, In a earlier thread, i mentiond how some files didnt work, and stuff, and that the files are like kept on the computer instead of having all the cds for it...
I want to know if its possible getitng the cds for it, so i can 100% reformat the computer and reinstall everything from cds, instead of having to refer to the recovery disk, as THAT is the only thing i have to get the computer running again after formatting...

4: ServicePack1...I have heard that alot of people have got this installed without a problem..but some people have had a "few" problems after installing it and all...and had to reformat, or restore system to its state b4 u installed the file....As I've finally got the SP1 downloaded (took 2 weeks :D) and am unsure if i want to install it right now, since i have system restore, disabled, and yeah..some help here please :)

I really hope you guys here at pressf1.co.nz can help me with these 4 topics i've put here :)

Hear soon

Chris :D

E.ric
16-11-2002, 09:38 PM
Hi csinclair83
As for 1: someone asked in my linux E-mail group for a project idea, I could pass the "subtitles project" idea on, then when go to linux (if you are not there all ready) you will love it better.

csinclair83
16-11-2002, 09:42 PM
Aint got Linux...
And dunno if its worth it..I dont really know much about it...
juust that its a different, more basic OS...
so yeah...
If all works...then i'd consider going linux sometime

am on winxp home edition at present

Terry Porritt
16-11-2002, 09:57 PM
With regard to question 1, the player I use most of all shows the title, the band, composer or whatever, moving across in a bar whilst the music file is playing. It is called UltraPlayer and can play most any audio/video format.
http://www.ultraplayer.com

Its free, and will also encode to mp3.
Cheers

csinclair83
16-11-2002, 10:07 PM
Well i was more thinking of the lyrics

say if the song was the nz athem..
the subtiles will say the lyrics

"god of nations"
at thy feet etcetc

godfather
16-11-2002, 10:26 PM
Unless the song was originally compiled with the lyrics embedded (unlikely) then no software can extract them.

Susan B
17-11-2002, 09:51 AM
Just curious about No. 1 Chris - do you want the lyrics displayed so that it helps you hear the music? Can you hear any of the music at all, ie with headphones or whatever?

There are heaps of sites where you can get the lyrics to songs, but you do have to "guess" whereabouts in the song that you are whilst listening though, to keep up with the lyrics.

If you don't mind me asking (you can email me if you wish), how did your deafness come about?

Regarding No. 2, why don't you backup and keep ALL the files in your download folders? That way you won't accidentally forget to save an important one. The files obviously aren't in use whilst in the Downloads folder but if a program goes looking for one when you install it you'll be in a pickle if it's not there. After a reformat just recreate those folders and put the contents back as they are now until you can sort out what is what. And be more careful where you download to in future. ;-)

Can't help with the other two questions, sorry.

csinclair83
17-11-2002, 10:02 AM
Well, my gf wants me to sign some songs to her while she sings them...and i cant hear it lol....and i dont wanna sign it and find out i finished when she has just started if i had the "paper" version of lyrics...
I was more hoping it is on the screen and comes up when its being said at the same time...
So yeah, but if theres anything around that could actually let me "MAKE" the program...that can let subtitles in the media player...I'd be glad to make it,.. :D

But as someone mentioned they would use it for a linux project..so will see if they can actually do it with linux...coz if they do then, maybe linux will be mine :D

2 be honest, no one knows how i became deaf...its usually a cause of genetic pass-on, or mum being sick..or meningitis at a young age...
But...i've had no sickness...mum wasnt sick..and no one else in my family is deaf..So it was me :D yay hehe..
I aint complaining that i am deaf..coz theres no point basically...i honestly dont know what i am missing out on..so aint bothering..just carry on wif life :D
And i dont mind if u wanted to know about deafness and me being deaf and all..just ask away aye :) same with neone here in pressf1.

Yeah I could backup the whole folder....which would use quite a few cds lol..theres like 1.5gb of stuff in there...oppsey..music, games, other programs and all :)
but cds are $10 for 10 so i guess i'd go for the cheap chance :D

its ok about the last 2 questions that u dunno..

-=JM=-
17-11-2002, 12:40 PM
A really cheap and nasty and probably very unreliable way would be to use a speech to text program.

godfather
17-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Trust me JM, a speech to text engine would not be able to sort out the vocals amongst the music.

It would require a manual compilation, recording the text as the music plays, and then merging the files (or having them separate but "in synch")

B.M.
17-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Am I missing something here or are we actually looking for a Karaoke programme for PCís?

Iím sure they are readily available for TVís.

Just not sure how they mix the music, lyricís and in some cases video, but I guess someone here will know.

csinclair83
17-11-2002, 01:53 PM
I dont even know what i looking for lol..
only want it to actually be like..
what it has on the telly..
u know..subtitles for the deaf...when a program like the news is on..
or something like that..
that has words on screen as they speak..
like if they said "hey" the word would be "hey"
i want something similar for music..
and on windows media player..
or winamp or anything..

-=JM=-
17-11-2002, 02:37 PM
B.M. i think that is exactly what he wants.

Trev0
17-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Regarding SP1, I'm in the throws of the long lonley road to SP1 (19% actually) and have your same dilemma. but my cunning plan is to turn ON system restore just before installing it (then creating a restore point naturally). If all goes well, hopefully, I'll turn it off again afterwards and be all smiles!!

csinclair83
17-11-2002, 03:19 PM
good luck with this :D

raddersnz
17-11-2002, 04:55 PM
You should have no trouble with SP1, after instillation. I know of a few pirate versions that couldn't load SP1 because they were pirated, and Microsoft has been combating this threat for a while. They are going well this time around.

You could always save the SP1 on CD and after installing it, reformat like you said you were going to. But have a play with it first, and see if it work's fine.

rads:)

Hervard
17-11-2002, 05:16 PM
http://www.winamp.com - click on the Components tab, scroll down slightly, and search for:

lyrics

There are two plugins... I haven't tried them out myself, but my friend has. They download the lyrics of the song and display them while the song is playing. Worth a try. :)

Kahawai_Chaser
17-11-2002, 08:02 PM
Hi..

For Q2 it basically seems you want find which downloaded files are in which folder...perhaps a a compilation category type program that links to your required folders may help. I use a basic but effective program called "MAC" from freeware in www.webattack.com... You transfer- link folders and you can quickly and easily see the files in the linked folders....

csinclair83
17-11-2002, 09:24 PM
I'm just downloading winamp now as i didnt relaise i didnt even have it hehe..
So the lyrics,..do they automatically download for the song? or do i have to manually find lyrics etc?

csinclair83
17-11-2002, 09:34 PM
i clicked on components..
and it doesnt have lyrics anywhere..

can u direct me to the "specific" page...or anyhting like that?

chris

Dolby Digital
17-11-2002, 10:24 PM
Re 1. - I've only ever seen subtitles on DVD's (got a dvd drive on your computer) which I presume are encoded on the dvd. Somewhere on Microsofts site they must have a reference to this sort of thing (I'm sure you are not the only person ever to have thought of it).

Hervard
18-11-2002, 01:14 PM
Winamp Lyrics plugins:

http://www.winamp.com/components3/detail.jhtml?componentId=121295

http://www.winamp.com/components3/detail.jhtml?componentId=122824

It seems like they're both for Winamp3.