PDA

View Full Version : Change of icon on UPGRADE

olldaddy76
16-11-2002, 08:06 PM
I have just read FAQ 25 and the fix was beyond me. I am uncertain whether it referred to the problem or not.
Have just UPGRADED ACDC 3.1 to 5 and most of my program icons are now ACDC especially in Picture It BMP files.....
How can I restore them to before upgrading

godfather
16-11-2002, 08:20 PM
I think you need FAQ #13
It sounds like its the file icons you need to associate

Terry Porritt
16-11-2002, 08:30 PM
FAQ 25 actually refers to 2 problems. The first one is a corrupted icon cache file, which could be the problem you have.
You dont say which operating system you're using, but if you have TweakUI installed, there is a repair tab in that which rebuilds the icon file.
This would be the first thing to try.

If you dont have Tweakui, you can download it from here (http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp).

Terry Porritt
16-11-2002, 08:35 PM
OK, you now have 2 possibilities. Try Godfathers suggestion. If you dont have Tweakui though, it is certainly an essential tool to have. It's often on the PCWorld CD.

olldaddy76
17-11-2002, 04:17 PM
I have followed FAQ 13 part 3 and can get the file type I need but cannot see the CHANGE BUTTON. I know I maybe ancient but still thought I could read. Thanks for you help so far.

godfather
17-11-2002, 05:00 PM
Well, we hope we can read as well.

But as the cure depends on your version of Windows (95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP home, XP Pro, NT) , we would have hoped to read what it was in your post.

We can't read it however, so we did our best.

Terry Porritt
17-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Just following on from Godfather, and with all due respect to Graham Petrie, method 3 if you are using Win98 is confusing to say the least. He means the Edit button, but it is not as straight forward as he says in the FAQ.
My recommendation (if you are using Win98) would be to use method 1. Try it out on a few file associations and if that is the problem, then just work through until it all comes right.

olldaddy76
18-11-2002, 01:35 PM
Sorry Godfather. I still have not succeeded but probably many of you would have by now. I have 98SE and have downloaded Tweakui but ended up with another problem. Four files in my zip folder which I do not inderstand...??

Miami Steve
18-11-2002, 01:43 PM
From memory, one of those 4 files is tweakui.inf. All you need to do is right-click that file and select "install" from the menu that is displayed. That will install TweakUI and display a help screen for the program. You can close that (and delete the 4 files in your zip folder .. they are no longer required). If you now open the Control Panel (Start/Settings/Control Panel) you should see a new icon for TweakUI.

Cheers,
Miami